Malwarebytes stopping contextual menu plus high CPU

I've had Malwarebytes Premium installed on my new laptop since August.

Over the last approx 2 weeks my machine has become impossible to use:

• high CPU Usage
  • fan always running high even with low CPU usage
  • trying to use the Search & Run facility on the Start button. The start menu won't build and for example, typing cmd into the run box leaves the start menu with the word Searching for several minutes
  • Contextual menus (right clicking folders, files, etc) either don't appear or take >30 seconds to build
  • Explorer.exe continuously Not Responding and crashing
  • Lightroom and Photoshop impossible to use - they continuously are Not Responding between actions

My laptop is only 3 months old, but I have spent the weekend flashing the BIOS, & updating every driver. I uninstalled/reinstalled Malwarebytes.

As soon as I quit Malwarebytes, the laptop returns to normal - CPU drops to <10%, fan stops running high, and explorer returns to normal. Contextual menus appear immediately, etc.

I've a two year license for Malwarebytes Premium so I've > 18 months left. Besides I like the software and want to continue to use it.
What can I do to fix this issue?

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by SoH
Added the mb check results

Hello @SoH

Your mb-check logs did not have the FBAR and the Additional.txt log files.

Can you  also please follow the following steps:

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will product two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt

Please attach the log files to the post.

@SoH

Looks like the logs are still not complete. Could you try to close your web browser and see if FRST completes.

Also, boot to safe mode (load into Safe Mode with Networking so new definitions can pull) for me and run a scan with rootkit scanning turned on in Malwarebytes. I want to make sure there are no infections causing this. 

Open Malwarebytes > Settings > Protection > Make sure "scan for rootkits" is toggled on

How to boot to safe mode

Could you try to close your web browser and see if FRST completes.

Closed everything and FRST hangs on Scanning (0) Shortcuts

Also, boot to safe mode (load into Safe Mode with Networking so new definitions can pull) for me and run a scan with rootkit scanning turned on in Malwarebytes.

Open Malwarebytes > Settings > Protection > Make sure "scan for rootkits" is toggled on

Scan for rootkits is always turned on, but I doubled checked anyway.

I booted into Safe Mode with Networking and ran a Malwarebytes scan. It came back with 0 Threats and 0 Quarantine

I did notice that Web protection, Exploit protection, Malware protection, Ransomware Protection would NOT enable in Safe Mode. Not sure if this is normal. They do get enabled in Normal Mode.

@SoH

We are looking over the logs that did make it in detail currently. There may be something else going on due to the issues with fan running and abnormal usage. Our software does not control fan speeds so we are trying to investigate the logs with careful detail. While we are looking over existing information, do the following: 

1. Try running FRST in safe mode and attach logs that are able to generate in safe mode, submit the logs.
  2. Reinstall Malwarebytes using MB-Clean while we look at logs and see it a new installation behaves the same way
Edited by vbarytskyy

So maybe there is something else going on here. I ran FRST in Safe Mode and it hung at the same place: Scanning (0) Shortcuts (I've attached the files)
I've since reinstalled Malwarebytes using MB-Clean.
My CPU is still running > 80% and the fan running high.

This is a 3mth old i7 laptop with 20GB of memory. Barely any software installed; Office, Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom, Google Earth. I've flashed the BIOS and used the support DVD to update every Driver. I can't see anything else. Malwarebytes Service is the only Process & Service that consistently shows up high in the Resource Monitor.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

mb-clean-results.txt

@SoH

Let's check into Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE), we've seen a few times where it interfere and cause system slowdowns.

1.  First try adding the following Malwarebytes files to MSE Excluded Processes (not Excluded Files)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe 

post-48870-0-11874800-1490926887.png.c09d8025a1856815779dff1c9ce5f843.png

Reboot may be needed after this step.

2. If the above does not help, turn off the Real Time Protection in MSE. 

post-48870-0-51216700-1490926941.png

Reboot may be needed after this step.

3. Best results are seen when MSE is completely uninstalled.

Edited by vbarytskyy