Avira or AVG

FWIW: I have AVG 8.5 (paid version) on my Dell Inspiron but I've installed Avira Antivir premium on the HP mini PC, as it's much lighter on resources. I really can't complain about AVG but I still consider switching to Avira when my license expires next year (mostly due to AVGs appalling forum ;) ).

FWIW: I have AVG 8.5 (paid version) on my Dell Inspiron but I've installed Avira Antivir premium on the HP mini PC, as it's much lighter on resources. I really can't complain about AVG but I still consider switching to Avira when my license expires next year (mostly due to AVGs appalling forum ;) ).

I use AVG 8.5 free but I am considering changing to Avira, (I have been saying that a while now but I am lazy!) I agree the forum is not very good, short remarks, and not much sympathy for those of us with limited knowledge of AV's and software in general.

I would like to add that avast! is very good and the beta for V5 is imminent with availability in October just like Windows 7.

Its forum is excellent as well.

avast! 5 is coming

As far as I see, Avast is always very late. The new variants are not added to databases or still undetected for a long time (if finally detected), and they even don't answer to sample submit by mail (even an undetected Virut dropper I sent was not added to their database). This lack of responsiveness is a real problem for antivirus companies. It is not bad at all, just too late.

Our disinfectino teams recommand Avira, (or AVG but Avira is preferred) for free software or Kaspersky and Nod32 for paid software.

I've been using AntiVir since 2004 after using NortonAV in 00/03 due to the changes made to Norton. I used AVG once and just didnt like it(cant remember why) also there has been serious problems with AVGs FPs.

So in short I've been reccomending Antivir since /05. I use AntiVir/MBAM on XP pro/Vista x32bit and Window7RC x64bit without any compatibility problems or conflicts. This is a most excellent combination. ;)

@ Exile

Even though I haven't used Avira, I wish I had known this BEFORE buying AVG, as I have told you before. Actually, I probably would've bought Kaspersky (well or Avira) if I was buying (and I would buy). Eh well live and learn.

I too would recommend Avira for a free version, just based on what I've read around on here :rolleyes:

I like sho-dan's signature too :D hehe