Norton thinks Farbar Unsafe; won't download

Hi flight6sun :)

This is a false positive from Norton. It happens often with malware removal tools (like FRST, OTL, DDS, etc.) These can be ignored as long as you downloaded the executable from a legitimate source (like BleepingComputer.com). You can disable Norton while you download and run a scan with FRST.

Thanks Aura.  I'm sure something is going on.  I was trying to register and post on BleepingComputer and was stuck in "resend validation". 

So I ran RogueKiller and it found 6 PUM infections.  I already run Norton and Malwarebytes, so surprised neither caught this.

From what I read this is malware designed to interfere with you getting help in removing malware.  It redirects web traffic which may explain why I was unable to register and post in BleepingComputer; stuck in the registration where it kept asking for "resend validation"; which I would do but to no avail.  I'm wondering if this PUM or something else was blocking me.  Also wondering if the download Norton is blocking has been tampered with or a false positive.  Should I still install Farbar tool?

userS-1-5hack.png

I was trying to register and post on BleepingComputer and was stuck in "resend validation". 

Can you PM me the username and email address you used to register over there? I'll forward them to @grinler (BC owner).

So I ran RogueKiller and it found 6 PUM infections.  I already run Norton and Malwarebytes, so surprised neither caught this.

PUM stands for Potentially Unwanted Modification. Which means that some of them might be legitimate as well. In your case, you can ignore these. They flagged IE settings that were set by your computer/laptop manufacturer, and the others are 2 settings displaying the recently opened programs in the Start Menu. Nothing harmful nor malicious.

It redirects web traffic which may explain why I was unable to register and post in BleepingComputer; stuck in the registration where it kept asking for "resend validation"; which I would do but to no avail.  I'm wondering if this PUM or something else was blocking me.

These PUMs as explained above aren't malicious, and they didn't interfere with the registration process over at BleepingComputer.

Also wondering if the download Norton is blocking has been tampered with or a false positive.  Should I still install Farbar tool?

In my opinion it is a false positive, and yes, you should still run a scan with FRST. Once done, provide me the FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs it'll create on your desktop.

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!