Hi.

So I see I am one of quite a few people who are getting an error when I try to update my Malwarebytes 3. I click "check for updates" and the bar gets about 1/10th of the way loaded, then defaults back to asking me to check for updates. I have tried uninstalling Malwarebytes (using Revo Uninstaller Pro to get a really clean reinstall) and then installing the newest MB3 again; same error. I tried turning off my ESET through MSCONFIG, rebooting, and then trying to update MB3, but it didn't help again. I was hoping it would have been something as easy as a firewall issue. I have posted my logs as directed on these forums below. I am only having this issue on ONE of my computers; my Win 10 workstations are fine. I have yet to check my other Win 7, since it is on another partition on the Win 10 machine I am working on right now. It's really only the VAIO laptop's Win 7 that is giving me the issue right now.

Thanks,

Pete

mb-check-results.zip

I took a quick look through the files you submitted and noticed you have a HOSTS file with about13,150 items that appears to have been downloaded. Do your other machines not having the upgrade problem have the same HOSTS file? Either way, I'd try updating without the HOSTS file and see if that solves the problem. I used to do the same thing back in the day to try and protect myself, but decided to go with other solutions (not sure if I can mention them here so I won't). :) Too often I discovered that with a large HOSTS file, I didn't bother to look at each entry and one man's trash is another man's treasure so something was blocked that it turned out I needed. Especially with third party caching.

It might be interesting to use Fiddler or Wireshark when the upgrade fails and see if you did inadvertently block it somehow.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the Malwarebytes upgrade process utilizes the HOSTS file, so this is a wild guess. Just trying to be helpful. :) I had too many weird problems when trying to manage access via a honkin' huge HOSTS file so I stopped. It's great if it works for someone else.

28 minutes ago, PNutts said:

I took a quick look through the files you submitted and noticed you have a HOSTS file with about13,150 items that appears to have been downloaded. Do your other machines not having the upgrade problem have the same HOSTS file?

Thanks for taking some time out of your day to help out, PNuts. Yea, our Windows 10 machines are using the same Hosts file as this 7 machine, but only the Windows 7 machine is giving us an issue.

Cheers,

Pete

Sup @GrimJesta

Lets try a clean re-install, and when prompted to re-install, instead of installing it on the D: Drive, install it on the main C: Drive where the OS is installed.

If that does not work, then provide a new set of logs after the re-install.

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.2.2.2029 CU 1.0.212) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (after you run all the tools requested, all the logs will be combined into one log file named: mb-check-results.zip located on your Desktop (which will include the FRST logs inside the zip file))
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.2.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Ran the cleaner, did a clean reinstall, same issue. I may have done something wrong, somewhere, but I don't know what. As I noted above, I did a reeeeeally thorough clean using Revo Uninstaller Pro and even reinstalling after that didn't have any changes with my issue.

Anyway, attached the MB Check results below.

Thanks for your help.

mb-check-results.zip

Hi Firefox,

I uninstalled ESET, rebooted, then tried to run the updater and I still got nothing. It stinks too, because we paid for the Pro and I can't use it on this machine, and MB3 is the one I trust the most (and also the one I recommend to clients, so I'd like to figure this out in case one of them gets the same issue at some point).

Thanks,

Pete

I don't know if it is helpful to reiterate this, but we are having zero issues with Malwarebytes 3 on our Windows 10 installations, but the Windows 7 one is where the problem lies. Could that have ANYTHING to do with it? I'm grasping at straws here, I know, but I'm trying to rule out any and all variables.

Cheers,

Pete