Finaly MBAM listened...

Just installed again ( over 50 times so far) the latest MBAM ( 3.3.1.2183) and finally I can turn off various shields without the red "x" mark on MBAM icon.

Guess which shield I turned off first? Web protection!!!

Now MBAM and MSE work perfectly with ZERO slowdown.

Well done MBAM!!!!

There is one more step to get there: buy/ lease an antivirus engine (Avira, Bitdefender) and create another shield (Antivirus protection)

Now you will have in the same product an antivirus and an antimalware and you can participate in AV Comparatives / Virus Total, avoid conflicts with any other antivirus (no need to install another antivirus), sell a full product.

I get a small red/orange triangle with a white "!" in the center on my tray icon when I turn off any protection component, is that not what you're seeing on your system?

As for integrating an AV and all that, I can't speak for the product team but I personally see that as a pointless pursuit.  All that would do is add a ton of overhead to the software (not to mention most likely make it incompatible with any other AV software, something we'd really prefer not to do since we do still have users who like to run an AV of their choice alongside Malwarebytes, not to mention other third party security apps which may not be compatible with whatever AV engine we might choose).  As for participating in AV Comparatives (we do participate in VT already), again, it's pointless and we've explained why many times.  The ability to detect stale binaries and dormant scripts and executables does nothing to determine the effectiveness of a security product in real world infection/attack scenarios and since our most proactive protection features rely on stopping the attack much earlier in the process, throwing an AV engine/database into the mix and putting our software up for such testing would only illustrate the efficacy of whatever AV we happened to choose at dealing with such tests, not how our entire layered approach to security stands up against real threats.  We will participate in some kind of testing once the team has time for it I'm sure.  We know full well that several users such as yourself really want to see it.  I just hope that you and anyone else looking for such testing realizes that doing well (or poorly) in those kinds of tests says nothing about how secure (or not) an actual user of that software is when surfing the web and facing actual live threats and attacks.

Edited by exile360

• Staff

Hello lock,

I have MSE and have had the various versions of MB 3 on it.  They tend to clash - have you ever tried adding our files to MSE's Excluded Processes?  Once I did that, there were no slow downs. 

Add the following Malwarebytes files to MSE Excluded Processes (not Excluded Files)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe 

9 hours ago, exile360 said:

I get a small red/orange triangle with a white "!" in the center on my tray icon when I turn off any protection component, is that not what you're seeing on your system?

No, if I turn off Web protection , the icon stays the same .

MBAM.jpg

14 minutes ago, Ried said:

Which is how it should be lock,  since you toggled off the setting 'Show Notifications when Real Time Protection is turned off'

Have you tried what I suggested yet with the settings in MSE?

img 1.png

If you toggled off the setting 'Show Notifications when Real Time Protection" you will not get notifications, however,  the icon in the task bar still had ( a month ago) the exclamation mark.

With the new version , I toggled off " Show Notifications when Real Time Protection" and I do not get notifications and also the red mark on MBAM icon is not present.

I did all exclusions between MBAM and MSE ( including .sys  drivers for MBAM); the re is zero slowdown , while Web protection is disabled, but noticeable when is enabled. 

I added to MSE "Excluded Processes":

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe

to MSE "Excluded Files and Locations":

• C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

and to MBAM " Folders":

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Security Client

Yep, it's possible that the slowdown is unavoidable in some cases due to the fact that MS uses a network filter driver/API which is most likely what causes the slowdown you are observing during browsing.  I too have noticed some slowdowns when using MSE alongside MB3 (I'm on 7x64) when browsing however it isn't too bad but that may be due to the fact that I have pretty fast hardware.