AD Synced Groups, Transfer to Local Groups?

Hi everyone,

In MMC, is it possible to move workstations from an Active Directory synced group/folder to a locally created group/folder?

Example, I add an AD OU as a MMC folder called Workstations. The workstations with and without the client sync to the folder. Currently, I am unable to find a way to move a workstation with the client to another folder, one that I created within MMC.

My reasoning for asking this is because I would like to remove the AD OU synced folder and only use locally created folders. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hi @TraptPatriot, no there is not a way to do that. Machines in an AD OU group are just listed under a mirror of your actual AD, they cannot be moved or changed. Any changes while using this config must be done in your AD for it to reflect within the console's AD mirror. You can delete your AD OU as a group (this will not affect your deployment, right click the AD OU group and select remove) and create your own set of local group folders to move the machines around as you see fit, if you prefer to organize your MB deployment in this way.

Hi @djacobson, thanks for the response! I just want to confirm that if I remove the AD OU group, it will not remove the clients.

I am only asking because when I right-click and select remove, it states "Are you sure you want to permanently remove this group? All clients under this group will be removed too."

Any clarification on what happens would be great! Thanks again!

It's only removing the AD mirror, to clarify what it is saying, it means you'll lose that organization but this will not uninstall the clients, the client view doesn't have that kind of power. It is the client itself that controls its own communication, nothing you do within client view can remove the software from the endpoint itself. After you delete the group, the clients will just check-in under ungrouped clients. From there you can create your own folder tree to organize them.