Initial thoughts on MB 3.3.1

Just to add to my original post - since running 3.3.1 after a clean uninstall / install 4 days ago, I've had no further problems. The only sad thing is that it seems I've eventually had to use the mb-clean process on every recent version of Malwarebytes I've installed to end up with a stable installation.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64x
MB Premium 3.3.1
MSE
CryptoPrevent Premium 8.0.4.3

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I've been running 3.3.1 now for almost 2 weeks with no problems - the System Tray Icon has loaded every time and there have been no error messages nor problems with Real Time Protection Modules failing to load or drop out of service.

MB Premium 3.3.1
MSE

@AdvancedSetup

Hi Ron, 

Yes, I'm really pleased it's running well now. I appreciate how complex it must be to develop a product that spends a great deal of its time stopping things happening rather than the converse, and has to do that with minimum fuss across an enormous range of hardware, operating system and installed software combinations. There are still minor niggles like the language reverting to the default on upgrade, but I understand these will get sorted down the line. Great product! 

Regards, 

Iain

MB Premium 3.3.1
MSE

Casper 10 Backup 

@AdvancedSetup

Well, I spoke too soon - should have known I'd jinx it!

Everything loaded as expected this morning when I booted up the laptop to do a little work. This evening, I booted up the computer and there was no sign of the MB System Tray Icon. Looking at Task Manager, I can see no sign of any MB processes running. I'm just going to run FRST64 and MB-Check and attach the results below., then I'll reboot the computer and see if things are back to normal.

Rebooted, and MB System Tray Icon then loaded and MB services are running

Iain

MB Premium 3.3.1
MSE
Casper 10 Backup

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by TempLost

• Root Admin

It looks like Windows did an update yesterday. Not sure if that is part of the issue or not.
18-11-2017 13:51:14 Windows Update

You also have a Plug and Play issue but you may have had this issue for a while. I would recommend trying to fix it. (it may or may not be affecting the Malwarebytes program)

Error: (11/19/2017 08:14:58 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7001) (User: )
Description: The UPnP Device Host service depends on the SSDP Discovery service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

We'll do some additional clean up and see if that corrects the issue for you.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Let me know if there is an issue running Malwarebytes after the clean up and computer restart.

Thanks

Ron

18 hours ago, TempLost said:

and there was no sign of the MB System Tray Icon. Looking at Task Manager, I can see no sign of any MB processes running.

Not saying I have the same issue, but I have seen that on my system, and out of curiosity I tried going to the ip test site just to see what would happen.  As expected the site was blocked like it should have, however I did not get a notification from MB3 that the site was blocked cause it was not in the tray. So it appears that MB3 web blocker was working per say, however no tray icon.

21 hours ago, TempLost said:

Everything loaded as expected this morning when I booted up the laptop to do a little work. This evening, I booted up the computer and there was no sign of the MB System Tray Icon. Looking at Task Manager, I can see no sign of any MB processes running...

Hi TempLost:

Did you click the Show Processes From All Users button when you were viewing your running processes in Task Manager?  I frequently see the same issue where  mbamtray.exe crashes at boot-up and my MB icon disappears from my system tray - see my thread MB v3.2.2 - System Tray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH - but when this happens I still see MBAMService.exe running in Task Manager as long as I show all running processes or view my processes with MS Sysinternal's Process Explorer.

I booted my system twice today and mbamtray.exe crashed both times (i.e., no MB icon in the system tray) but here' a screenshot from my Task Manager with Show Processes From All Users enabled.

5a13120a5ca15_MBv3_3_1TaskManagerMBAMService_exeNombamtray._exe.png.95d3ab2107b24cd01ce8870ae4e0ca91.png

----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.0 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183-1.0.236

Some new quirks cropping up now. Malwarebytes displayed repeated messages about an outgoing threat being blocked:-

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 20/11/2017
Protection Event Time: 21:23
Log File: 9b59ccb0-ce30-11e7-84d1-88ae1dd686ce.json
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.3.1.2183
Components Version: 1.0.236
Update Package Version: 1.0.3304
Licence: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, , Blocked, [-1], [-1],0.0.0

-Website Data-
Domain: 
IP Address: 255.255.255.255
Port: [17500]
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe

(end)

Is this a false positive?

I rebooted and the warnings continue but I also got a message that Ransomware Protection was switched off. Stopping and re-starting Malwarebytes solved the latter problem.

I am now running FRST64 and MB-Check yet again and will attach the results below. 

Iain

MB Premium 3.3.1
MSE
Casper 10 Backup

mb-check-results.zip

• Root Admin

Yes, that was a False Positive that was fixed this morning @TempLost all should be good now.

I'm going to go ahead and close this topic now as resolved, however if you do continue to have an issue please open a new topic and let us know.

Thank you again

Ron