Malwarebytes not launching

:welcome: Hi and welcome aboard.

Is November 1st the very first time to install any Malwarebytes program?  Or did this pc have in the past one or another of our programs ( Anti-Malware or Anti-Exploit or beta anti-ransomware ?) ?

Is this a first time install for Malwarebytes ?

What were the "error"   ( "exception" ) messages you had got during the Setup runs?   Having the exact text is very very helpful.

It looks as if you attempted the setup run 5 times.

We do need to get from you some other additional diagnostic reports.  Get and run FRST64  ( your Windows is 64-bit )

1. Please get & SAVE Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)   and later run it to get logs
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will product two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt

Please attach those 2 files with next reply.

I have a three part task for you.  Be sure you have no open work going on.  Close any other apps you have going on.

{ A }

I am sending a custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the FIXLIST and select SAVE AS   and save it directly ( as is) in the same general location as where you have FRST64

SAVE to the DOWNLOADS folder.

*NOTE*: Both FRST64.exe  and the fixlist.txt must be in the same location or the fix will not work.

Double click FRST64 to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts.  You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.

{ B }

Ir-regardless of result of part A, whatever happens, I would like for you to also do part B here.

Disregard the title or description of that article.  I would suggest you do what is listed on this link and then let me know all the results.

When that completes,

• two files named UdawJ7P.png mbar-log.txt and system-log.txt will be created.
  • Both files can be found in the extracted MBAR folder on your Desktop.
  • Please attach both files in your next reply.  + also  Please attach the Fixlog.txt in your reply.

{ C }

Malwarebytes functionality should be restored. You must run a Malwarebytes custom scan with rootkit on so any remaining detections are removed.

Start Malwarebytes.  Click *Settings* > click *Protection* tab.
scroll down to Scan options.

On the line *Scan for rootkits* flip it to ON.

Next click on the tab Scan Schedule  ( if you have Premium).
Find the "Normal" task.  click on the line shown & click Edit button.

Click Advanced button. Put a check mark in the line *Scan for rootkits*

Clear ( un check) the one for scan within archives   ( especially if you have a huge amount of zip files).
Click on OK button when all done.

Next, click the Scan button.
Then from the 3 panes presented, click the one marked *Custom Scan* pane.

click Configure Scan button.

Then put a tick mark  ( by clicking with mouse) on the box for C drive.
Then click Scan now.

Have lots of patience as a custom scan can take an hour or two.

There may be more to do afterwards.   Please do know I am not on 24 x 7.     Thank you for your patience in advance.

One other point and request:  When reporting back on results, I need to have all full details, on what worked.  What did not work.  And I especially need to have full text of any and every Error or crash or abort message.  

Thank you.

FIXLIST.TXT

You did well.  Make sure at your next opportunity, to do one Windows Restart so that the cleanups are applied.  Like at this point now.

Then,

I would like you to do one more scan; this one from ESET security.  This is for a second opinion.

To be certain all traces of malware & viruses are gone, I'd suggest you run this  scan to help look for a virus or possible P U P or rogue that may be lurking. This scan can easily take upwards of an hour, so be run the scan when you don't need to use the computer for a while.
{ If you need help on this, then see this page http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/help/

You may use the stand-alone-eset installer.
Use this link to get and SAVE esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe _the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
from

this link

You need to first SAVE the file to your system.  Save to the Downloads folder or the DESKTOP  ( for ease of use).

2.Double click on the esetsmartinstaller  icon on your desktop.

4.Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
5.Click the *Start* button.

and proceed just as outlined before.   Reply ( click ) YES when prompted to allow the run by Windows U A C ( user account control).
Have patience while it downloads antivirus database definitions.

Click on *Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications*
Click on the blue line *Adanced Settings*
Choose the following settings in scan settings:

Select (check) Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.

in advanced settings:
clear ( leave un-checked) Remove found threats

Select ( check-mark) Scan for potentially unsafe applications

Click on Start. The virus signature database will begin to download. This may take some time.
When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
Note: This scan might take a long time! Please be patient.
When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, but make sure you copy the logfile first!
Now click on Finish

A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Eset\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your antivirus application after running the above scan!

I will advise you more after I have had a chance to review that log file.

You will find a log-file for the results of the ESET scan that is named LOG.txt
It will be located under the Program Files structure of Windows in one of the folders listed below.  The report file is named *LOG.txt*
The folder containing that report is this for 64-bit Windows.
C:\Program Files (x86)\ESET\ESET Online Scanner   

You should be able to manually delete those 3 files.   Else, yes, run the ESET again and put a check-mark to remove all it tags.

With all that done, your pc should be good to go.

Safer practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself.  Do not double click in the email.  Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address   ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login.  Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Check in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Microsoft Windows Update and install any Important Updates offered.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Check on other update issues as well, by getting, installing and using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) on a regular basis.
See How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial174.html

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

Make regular off-line backups of your system.  A rotating set of 2 or 3 generations on separate discs is the best if possible.
Backup is your best friend.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"