Real-Time Web Protection won't turn on

When I go to the settings/ protection page and turn on web protection, it's stuck in the "starting" mode and never gets turned on. As per the instructions I found on this website, I switched "enable self-protection module early start" on, and rebooted the computer. When that didn't work, I switched "enable self-protection module" off and rebooted. When that didn't work, I uninstalled the program, downloaded and installed a fresh copy, entered my license key, and the same thing happened. I've attached a shot of the program starting but never turning on. Please advise what my next step is. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Martin Victor

Malwarebytes problems 10_24_20107.PNG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things can be done if the Web protection is not starting:

1. Reboot your machine.

OR

2. Right-click on the Malwarebytes system tray icon and click on "Quit Malwarebytes" and double click on the desktop shortcut to start the program again.

We are aware of an issue with Web protection failing or not starting correctly and our next program update should fix that issue.

I have Malwarebytes Premium 3.2.2 running on Windows 10 6 and keep getting this problem of Web protection saying it is starting but never getting there.  I tried "enable self-protection module early start" on, and rebooted the computer.  Then I tried  switching "enable self-protection module" off and rebooted but neither worked.  In desperation I signed up for this forum and saw the suggestion of "Right-click on the Malwarebytes system tray icon and click on "Quit Malwarebytes" and double click on the desktop shortcut to start the program again."  That worked but only for about two minutes.  Whilst I have been typing this thinking my problem was solved I have been flagged with "You are not fully protected" and when I looked my Web protection was off again!

If those steps don't work for you, more than likely a clean re-install will fix it...

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.2.2.2029 CU 1.0.212) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (after you run all the tools requested, all the logs will be combined into one log file named: mb-check-results.zip located on your Desktop (which will include the FRST logs inside the zip file))
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.2.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Couple of things can be done if the Web protection is not starting:

1. Reboot your machine.

OR

2. Right click on the Malwarebytes system tray icon and click on "Quit Malwarebytes" and double click on the desktop shortcut to start the program again.

We are aware of an issue with Web protection failing or not starting correctly and our next program update should fix that issue.

On 27/10/2017 at 11:26 AM, Firefox said:

If those steps don't work for you, more than likely a clean re-install will fix it...

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.2.2.2029 CU 1.0.212) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (after you run all the tools requested, all the logs will be combined into one log file named: mb-check-results.zip located on your Desktop (which will include the FRST logs inside the zip file))
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.2.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

By doing this, does it remember it is a paid version and do I need to enter the registration code? I have had a look for it but I am unable to find it. Will this be a problem?

I have the most recent version of the program and have also been annoyed to have web protection turn off 'without reason' several times in recent weeks. Having gone through that whole problem in the old version of MBAm 3, this is not encouraging. Restarting did not help me. Choosing "quit Malwarebytes" and then reopening restarted web protection again. Thanks for that tip.

Thank you Nikhils for your help and advice.  I was away last week and had no time to act upon your suggestions.  However, received notification of the update this morning which I downloaded and everything is now working perfectly.  What a relief!  Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Damn it!

After the latest update to 3.3.1 a couple of days ago, this problem of not being able to enable real time protection has started. I have the premium edition.

This is incredibly frustrating. I had the false positive problem a few days ago where a supposedly malicious website of IP address 255.255.255.255 on port 60 was supposedly attempting to access my machine, and now this!!!!

3 minutes ago, Interactive said:

After the latest update to 3.3.1 a couple of days ago, this problem of not being able to enable real time protection has started. I have the premium edition.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will product two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  6. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  7. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  8. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  9. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  10. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

I have the same issue. Running Premium 3.3.1.

I get a pop-up every few minutes telling me 'REAL TIME PROTECTION TURNED OFF' 

I then try to turn on and it turns on and immediately off.

This is followed by another message telling me it's turned off and then Malwarebytes crashes

Screen grabs and screen attached.

BTW - new to this forum. Have I posted in the right place i.e. in the trail of the same issue or should I have started a new topic?

BTW2 - I also had the 255.255.255.255 issue but it rectified itself after db update

malware3.wmv

malware1.jpg

malware2.jpg

Thank you Porthos and Nikhils

I have attached the files requested. I didn't quite follow the instructions as requested, I didn't save the downloaded files to my desktop before running them, I ran them from the download directory on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. I will happily do it again if there is a problem.

Thanks in advance.

mb-check-results.zip

36 minutes ago, Interactive said:

I have attached the files requested.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe    REG_SZ        RUNASADMIN

Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\
Find the file mbam.exe and right click on it and choose Properties
In the window that pops up click on Compatibility Tab
Remove any changes there that don't match my picture below and click OK

596d154caf048_compatibilitytab.jpg.2f0b44f0f5d992528633bfe1440a47af.jpg