Avg found someing in MWB - is this file ok

OK, I've got some info for you and it's good news.  That file is a temporary backup copy of the NTUSER.DAT file (a registry hive/file, basically) which is created when Malwarebytes runs a scan as part of our scan process.  Once the scan is completed, the file should get cleaned up/removed by Malwarebytes automatically.

So the good news is, it's not a threat/infection; the bad news is, it looks like AVG had a false positive.

If there's anything else we can help with please let us know.

I have returned with more news and a correction.  It turns out that file isn't actually a registry backup as I thought it was, however it is something created by our scanner.  It's a copy of an unknown file that our cloud component is analyzing to determine whether or not it is malicious, so it could actually be a threat but that is not guaranteed.  That said, it can't do any harm as it is just a dormant copy of a file that exists elsewhere on your system so it won't be able to infect you even if it is malicious.

ok this is what I had to do....had avg remote in and remove and reinstall avg.. they had to remove MWB because in conflicted avg from working and they suggested I don't reload mwb because it conflicted with it ...

I scanned with avg again and it found nothing.

Edited by Clang

• Staff

Hello Clang,

To keep AVG from going into Passive mode, install Malwarebytes then open Malwarebytes and click Settings > Application tab

Look for Windows Action Center and place a check next to 'Never register Malwarebytes..'

This in no way affects the protection our product provides, it simply does not register it as an installed 'AV' in Windows.

MB Windows Action Center.png

• Staff

It's really not necessary to list out all the sub-folders.  When you add the 'top folder' it then includes all the sub folders as well.

For example, adding the MBAMService folder will automatically then exclude all those other folders within it. (All those that you see when you clicked the + to expand that MBAMService folder.)

By the same token, if you went up one level to the Malwarebytes folder, that would then include the MBAMService folder and all those other folders under that.

1 minute ago, Ried said:

It's really not necessary to list out all the sub-folders.  When you add the 'top folder' it then includes all the sub folders as well.

For example, adding the MBAMService folder will automatically then exclude all those other folders within it. (All those that you see when you clicked the + to expand that MBAMService folder.)

By the same token, if you went up one level to the Malwarebytes folder, that would then include the MBAMService folder and all those other folders under that.

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\*    

This is what avg shows... I assume this is ok ?

After doing the clean install I did the reboot and all is acting well. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ried said:

Windows Action Center and place a check next to 'Never register Malwarebytes..'

Made sure this was done on MWB 

2 hours ago, shadowwar said:

They do work fine together. In your case all you would have to set is an exclusion on avg for the mbamservice folder.

And double checked I added this exclusion to avg.

Doing a mwb scan (with rootkits) - and hopfuly all will go well.