If I have mbam premium running...

WIll this anti rootkit program find anything that the premium version scan wouldnt, specifically a keylogger.  I just had a gaming account loggged into and the password is something no one one ever know or randomly guess, theres just no way, so Im thinking the only way they found it was a keylogger.  Windows securty scans nothing and mbam prem scanned nothing, should I use this too or the spybot one, I know employees cant endorse other products but this isnt about money here I feel violated and want piece of mind back.  What else can I do to rule out keylogger.  Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Greetings,

My apologies for taking so long to get you a response.  In general, our Anti-Rootkit Beta does not detect anything that Malwarebytes 3 does not, however sometimes we do have to update the beta to deal with a recent emerging new rootkit threat, and so for a time it may have capabilities that Malwarebytes 3 does not.  That said, I do not believe that it would detect a keylogger missed by Malwarebytes 3.

Also, there are many ways that they could have gotten your password info, including hacking the game servers themselves or via a phishing attack, convincing you to enter your login info into a webpage or service that wasn't actually part of the game's official services.  Even wi-fi traffic snooping is a possibility.

That said, if you do believe that you are infected then please follow the instructions in this post and post the requested information and logs in a new topic in that area of the forums and one of our malware removal experts will assist you directly with checking and clearing your system of any malware.

• 1 month later...

Any possibility that someone attached a little hardware connecter (key logger) at the USB connection between the keyboard and the computer? That would only take a brief moment to accomplish, and I believe it would not be detected by anti-malware programs (although I am hardly an expert in this area).

Sincerely,

AntosWinawer

This infernal little bit of hardware is why I would never type a password into public computer, such as a computer at a library. If I absolutely had to use such a computer, I would have my passwords on a protected usb drive, and would copy and paste them into login and password fields. In some cases, you have to delete the last letter, digit, or symbol and type that one character manually. But a key logger would not be able to log anything I copied and pasted. Still, I wouldn't enter anything sensitive into a publicly-available computer -- not even by copying and pasting it, unless it was an emergency.

Edited by AntosWinawer

I defeat this by using FOSS KeePass.  It has a few tricks up its sleeve to make detection by keyloggers much harder, including:

• Interleaved password entry (supported by most modern computers, including my 7 year old desktop running the original generation Core i7 CPU)
  • Automatic clipboard clearing
  • Self-protection by any combination of PW, key file and Windows Account
  • Self-protection PW can be entered on secure desktop

And lots more.  If you set it up correctly, you could easily never have to type in a single character to use it to enter passwords on machines in the public domain, thereby giving you that much more security.  Of course, you hav to remember one thing:

Nothing digital is ever hack proof.

See http://Keepass.info for more info.