Winword process stays running after app-close

• Staff

Hi All,

We think we have this fixed in our latest build. It is available in the Anti-Exploit standalone product and has not rolled out to Malwarebytes 4 yet. But I would love to hear feedback if it resolves your issue.

Please disable Exploit protection in your MB4 and install the below AE product. Try to reproduce the winword issue and let me know if it still persists. Thanks for your patience.

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z3mzwpcffcr3l3kqwpa61dgahaq0ggv0

1 hour ago, Arthi said:

Hi All,

We think we have this fixed in our latest build. It is available in the Anti-Exploit standalone product and has not rolled out to Malwarebytes 4 yet. But I would love to hear feedback if it resolves your issue.

Please disable Exploit protection in your MB4 and install the below AE product. Try to reproduce the winword issue and let me know if it still persists. Thanks for your patience.

Do you mean disable Exploit protection in MB4 completely? If so, how do I do that? I can't see it.

Right-click on the Malwarebytes tray icon and click on Exploit Protection: On and click Yes when prompted by User Account Control.  You can also disable it from the main dashboard in Malwarebytes by toggling the switch next to Exploit Protection under the Real-Time Protection section.

• Staff

Hi guruuno,

Thanks for your feedback.

This was merely a well-meaning gesture to provide the fix to the affected MB4 customers immediately, not to be considered as beta testing.

We are asking to turn off exploit protection to run this exploit protection standalone product side-by-side. So customers who do this are not at risk by any means.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Arthi said:

Hi guruuno,

Thanks for your feedback.

This was merely a well-meaning gesture to provide the fix to the affected MB4 customers immediately, not to be considered as beta testing.

We are asking to turn off exploit protection to run this exploit protection standalone product side-by-side. So customers who do this are not at risk by any means.

Thanks.

Arthi,

I can confirm that running the stand alone product does not cause winword.exe to stay running.

I disabled exploit protection in MB and installed standalone exploit protection, restarted PC and tested winword.exe closes after closing WORD and issue is resolved. Thank you to everyone involved, looks like the bug is squashed. Looking forward to the update, cheers.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:18 AM, Arthi said:

Hi All,

Thank you, Athi. Please if possible post in this thread to notify us when the change rolls out to Malwarebytes 4, as we have this problem across our office, so would like to update to the fixed version as soon as possible. Much appreciated.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:48 AM, Arthi said:

Hi TimPrice,

The updates are set to roll out into Malwarebytes 4 early June. Thanks.

Hi Arthi

Can you please if possible advise whether these updates have made it into the current beta v4.1.1.71? We've been obliged to switch to the beta because our issues are too severe to keep waiting.

Your advice much appreciated, thank you.

Agreed.  I've been noticing that there are some events in Event Viewer indicating Malwarebytes snafus.  As much as I'd like to say that this program offers so many good things, it's like it's always being fixed, problematic.  Going from a free program to a paid application one might think it would be tweaked more efficiently.  Remember the early days of AntiVirus manufacturers, McAfee this, Norton that, Avast here, Eset this, and most famously Sunbelt whoa now Vipre yea.

Well when Sunbelt was at the top of their game, they mysteriously dropped out of sight, and all those who paid, used, believed, etc., were abandoned.  THen poof...they're back as another company years later.

Milk the cows oh dear Malwarebytes.  Milk the cows.  Ever try calling support?  It's a joke.

• Staff
2 hours ago, TimPrice said:

Hi Arthi

Can you please if possible advise whether these updates have made it into the current beta v4.1.1.71? We've been obliged to switch to the beta because our issues are too severe to keep waiting.

Your advice much appreciated, thank you.

Hi Tim,

v4.1.1.71 does not have these fixes. It is scheduled to go out in the release after that. Cannot give an exact ETA at the moment, but it will be out 1st or 2nd week of June. Once I know the tentative dates, I will update here. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...