AdamM

Winword process stays running after app-close

We're seeing an issue with Word documents opened from our document management system (Autonomy FileSite 8.5). The WINWORD.EXE process will remain open in the background after the application has closed. This occurs everytime a document from FileSite is opened and Word is closed, resulting in numerous dead Word instances (docs opened locally are unaffected). I suspect this has some relation with the FileSite COM add-in 'checking' the document back in during a close.

This only occurs if the 'MS Word Shield' is active. I have also tried unchecking all MS Office related advanced settings in MBAE during testing. Only deactivating the shield allows the app to close correctly.

This behavior appears to be present on all of our workstations which are also running MBAE v1.10.2.41, Office 2010, Windows 7 32-bit.

Log files are attached.

Thanks, Adam

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Hello Adam,

Thank you for those initial logs. I am going to send you a Pm to collect me some debug logs so I can get this over to our team to examine the issue further. 

I'm having the same issue where we are generating form letters with winword programatically.  This hanging winword can be duplicated by simply opening and closing word. The customer is using several addins. The problem goes away when we disable anti-exploit. This is not ideal. Is there any resolution for this? 

Craig Leach

Hey Craig Leach,

I am going to send you a PM with a test build that should fix this issue. I want to get some feedback if it fixes it. You should be seeing it shortly.