Version 3 Free VERY ANNOYING!

New free version 3 adds lots of components that I don't want for on-demand scanning.  While the previous version was very user-friendly, this one expects constant Internet connection, leaves a service and a try icon running, and no doubt has other problems I haven't discovered yet.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1.  I've used Malwarebytes free for years as an occasional on-demand scanner to supplement my less capable real-time scanner, especially after engaging in potentially risky behavior like downloading new Subaru GPS map updates from an Eastern-European company.  Last night I ran the previous version and asked for a database update.  (I prefer to do this manually.)  Of course it installed the new version, and I had to ask again for a current database (not so obvious how to do that now, since it doesn't show the date/time stamp).  Then I ran a scan (overnight, with my Internet unplugged for better security).  When I came back in the morning, I could not close the program because it kept throwing up new warning boxes complaining about no Internet access.  (Apparently all it wanted was to check for a newer database.)  I had to use Task Manager to shut it down, and even then there were a tray icon and a service still running that I had to kill manually.

Looking more carefully at the settings, I could not find any way to disable automatic database checks or an apparently scheduled scan for one month hence.  I'm still not really sure, given that the service was still running, whether it was doing on-demand scanning in the background or not.  Further, I'm not even sure that there aren't other traces of the software still running but hidden from me (like malware?).  Of course I may be missing some settings or other ways to control Version 3.  Perhaps one of you can fill me in on how to achieve what I want from the new version?

Bottom line -- none of this is what I want in an on-demand scanner.  It appears the company is trying to make the free version so annoying as to force people to subscribe to the full version, but they are more likely to drive me away entirely! -- JClarkW

Sorry for the confusion, but hopefully this helps:

Disable Automatic Update Checks

In free mode, the only automatic update checks that should happen is when you start a scan. Currently there is no way to disable this.

Disable monthly scan

1. Navigate to Settings -> Scan Schedule
  2. Click the scan you want to delete
  3. Click Delete

Malwarebytes will stay running as the long as the tray icon is visible in your taskbar. If the tray icon is gone, then Malwarebytes should not be running. You can confirm this by running sc query mbamservice from a command line.

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

1) In free mode, the only automatic update checks that should happen is when you start a scan...

2) Disable monthly scan

1. Navigate to Settings -> Scan Schedule
  2. Click the scan you want to delete
  3. Click Delete

3) Malwarebytes will stay running as the long as the tray icon is visible in your taskbar. If the tray icon is gone, then Malwarebytes should not be running. You can confirm this by running sc query mbamservice from a command line.

1) That wouldn't be so bad, but I don't know what this was then:  I started a custom scan, verified it was running, unplugged Internet, went to bed.  Next morning Malwarebytes free was complaining as described above and could not be shut down.

2) Thanks!  I should have found that myself.

3) You are right!  I fooled myself somehow, perhaps by killing the service before killing the tray icon.

4 hours ago, dcollins said:

In #1, did you disconnect the internet after the updates had completed, or before?

I don't know, as I wasn't expecting an initial update check.  (Anyhow the previous version didn't have this issue, and I always ran the scan after manually updating and then unplugging from the Internet.)  I do know that it ran to completion and reported no infections.

Nevertheless, I just ran another scan with version 3, this time making sure not to unplug the Internet until after a check appeared in the update step.  No problems this time, soI guess it was "operator error."

Thanks for your excellent support.  Sorry to waste your time. -- JClarkW