Reply to this topicStart new topic Virus will not let me boot Hijackthis, Malwarebytes, Spybot,etc.

Hello, I foolishly ran an .exe file that installed a virus on my desktop PC that will not let me run many forms of virus protection and spyware removal. The virus has defeated Hijackthis, hijackfree, Spybot, Malwarebytes, combofix, and AVG, and a few others even in safe mode. I have tried renaming the install files and the exe files to no avail. So at this point I cannot even post a logfile.

AntiVira will run but cannot seem to remove the virus, additionally I have run ATF cleaner and Vundofix which ran successfully (Vundofix with zero detections.)

The desktop runs Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I have tried renaming the files and running all of the above programs renamed in Safe Mode. Additionally I have used TrendMicro's House Call

I can access the internet, but the virus often redirects me away from sites such as this one. I have perused multiple forums and haven't found a fix yet. If anyone can help I would be deeply in their debt.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum! :(

Please create a NEW post in the HJT forum as shown below even if you cannot run any scanners. Also please note that they are VERY busy at the moment and though they would love to assist you immediately, there are too many users requesting help at this time which has caused response times to greatly increase. It could be a few days before someone responds to your post so please try to be patient while they catch up to the requests. Also, please don't respond back to your post until a helper has responded. This will change your post count and could lead the helpers to think you have already been helped. Thank you

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?

2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

* Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.

* Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.

* Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.

* If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.

* Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.

* There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

* NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

EDIT: looks like they moved your post to the correct location

Hi RedArmada, Welcome to Malwarebytes :(

You have a CLB Rootkit infection that is preventing your security programs from running.

1. Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.

[*]Rar Mirrors - Only if you know what a RAR is and can extract it.

[*]Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive.

[*]Open rootRepealDesktopIcon.png on your desktop.

[*]Click the reportTab.png tab.

[*]Click the btnScan.png button.

[*]Check all seven boxes: checkBoxes2.png

[*]Push Ok

[*]Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.

[*]Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.

[*]Once the scan completes, push the saveReport.png button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.