Something amiss with Anti-Exploit Beta 1.10.1.41

hake

Since updating from MBAE 1.10.1.24 to 1.10.1.41, my admittedly obsolete Windows XP SP3 system has been beset with misbehaving protected applications which refuse to start properly and yet are unable to terminate. Uninstalling MBAE 1.10.1.41 and reinstalling MBAE 1.10.1.24 restores order to the system.

There seems to be no problem with MBAE 1.10.1.41 running on Windows 7.

Could you please advise me about the current procedure available to the user to report information on MBAE problems. While the future of Windows XP is probably now limited, I imagine that MalwareBytes still wishes to receive information on issues with the behaviour of MBAE on Windows XP.

I have run DDS.com (this runfile dates back to 2013) and have dds.txt and attach.txt available to send. Please let me know who to PM these too.

Edited by hake

I have received a pushed update to MBAE Beta 1.10.1.41 and the file size is the same as the installer for the problem version. So far MBAE Beta 1.10.1.41 (reincarnated) seems to be working as I would wish it to and without the problems I previously reported.

Gloom! MBAE 1.10.1.41 still causes trouble with all three of my Windows XP SP3 installations. The pushed update (version 1.10.1.41) seemed to allow protected applications to run acceptably but .bat files misbehave, like the window opens but nothing happens and sometimes the system semi locks-up and switching off the power is necessary to restart. Seemingly a general problem with Windows XP, I think. It's back to MBAE 1.10.1.24 and using the HOSTS file to block the URL of the source of pushed updates.

No problems with Windows 7 (64bit) though, at least I haven't noticed any. Windows 8.1 is probably also OK.  I know this because my wife's older sister hasn't been on the phone to complain.

As noted in a separate posting, I have similar issues with v.41 blocking the start of Firefox, Thunderbird, IE8 and even MS Word (Office 2003).  And my XP Pro computer (SSE) seems sluggish in general as if something is running in the background for whatever reason: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/212171-mbae-110137-download-link/

To be sure that no other program updates caused the trouble, I re-imaged my C: drive back to when MBAE v.24 ran without any issues.  But, v.41 was pushed onto me as well.  Same issues, this time before the "other" program updates .. so they were eliminated as a possible cause.  I'll modify the HOSTS file too to stop updates before I downgrade to whatever version works again.  Hopefully v.24.  Under settings I use default for the time being.  A PITA as MBAE is a program I want to install and forget.

Same here... with x.41 on XP/SP3, programs (Firefox, PaleMoon, Adobe Reader) either don't finish loading... or if they do load and open, will sooner-or-later freeze.   I am keeping v.24 on my own XP system, and disabling MBAE (due to auto-updates) on my wife's systems.

No problems under win7/sp1

Snoopx:

Hopefully, you have a copy of the older version  1.10.1.24  to install it.   After you do so:

Double-Click on MBAE in your system tray to open it.

Click on the SETTINGS tab.

UNcheck the box to "Automatically upgrade to new versions".

That stops the AUTOMATIC (i.e., without prompting you to confirm) updates.   HOWEVER, you will now be presented with a "nag screen" prompting you to allow the update EACH TIME YOU REBOOT.   You need to click CANCEL whenever you're presented with this confirmation dialogue if you want to keep the older version in use.

Edited by ky331

Very similar issue running XP SP3.

On top of the snags mentioned above, on my PC MBAE 1.10.1.41 never starts at boot.

Most of the time, killing the hung task via Task Manager solves the issue, but sometimes it doesn't and a system restart becomes necessary.

My PC has also become more unpredictable, particularly with longer lag times, especially on web browsing, but also on app opening (Acrobat, Office 2010)

As an additional background, I have Avast Free 17.7.2314 running as primary AV, supplemented by MBAM 3.2.2.2029 (downgraded to free) standalone. I initially thought it could be the dual presence of MBAM and MBAE that caused the trouble, but I read in the forum they could co-exist.

Logs attached.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip

On 10/16/2017 at 10:56 PM, Rsullinger said:

DO you mind collecting these logs after the issue occurs .. I am going to get this over to our team to look into the issue. Thank you for anyone that has already uploaded the logs in this thread.

Not sure my logs are useful as (after re-image to v.24) they only contain the push to v.41 and some trouble thereafter before I removed MBAE totally.  If you want them I can PM a zip file to you.  If so, do you want to have the .bak files too?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 10:44 AM, slack7639 said:

The future of XP limited?  No, you can run it on a new 64-bit computer, in a VirtualBox . . . https://www.virtualbox.org/attachment/wiki/Screenshots/gnome.png

That's exactly what I am doing.  I have old applications that will no longer run on Windows 10.  I have run XP in a Virtualbox host on both Linux and Windows 10.  Works great!

At this point I am dependent on Avast and MBAE to protect the XP VM.  Even so, I try to keep away from the net as much as possible.  I rarely download and run anything new.  If anything bad does happen I will just re-pave the VM with a clone.  :lol:

Edited by Tinstaafl

I'm trying MBAE, and MBAR . . . Introducing Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta . . .

I guess you do need anti-virus, and anti-malware, on the Host computer, and every virtual machine.

In Virtual Box, I have these . . . XP Pro for old games . . . and I'm taking a look at the most popular Linux distros:

1.) Win XP Pro

2.) Ubuntu - with MacBuntu GUI

3.) Ubuntu - regular install

4.) Linux Mint

5.) Debian

1 hour ago, slack7639 said:

I'm trying MBAE, and MBAR . . . Introducing Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta . . .

I guess you do need anti-virus, and anti-malware, on the Host computer, and every virtual machine.

In Virtual Box, I have these . . . XP Pro for old games . . . and I'm taking a look at the most popular Linux distros:

1.) Win XP Pro

2.) Ubuntu - with MacBuntu GUI

3.) Ubuntu - regular install

4.) Linux Mint

5.) Debian

Well you actually only need protection on your Windows hosts and Windows VM guests.  Linux will do just fine without.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Win 10 64-bit.

I just de-installed MBAE and MBAR, because one or both prevent me from renaming files, folders, moving files, and copying files.

I posted about this on another page, and haven't heard anything back.  That was 11/06/17 on the MBAE forum, and 11/12/17 on the MBAR forum:

MBAE and MBAR, Access Denied, visible TMP files - MBAE Forum . . . https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/214152-mbae-and-mbar-access-denied-visible-tmp-files/

MBAE and MBAR, Access Denied, visible TMP files - MBAR Forum . . . https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/214735-mbae-and-mbar-access-denied-visible-tmp-files-mbar-forum/

They're betas, so expect bugs.

I think I will go back to just running MBAM Free once per week.  I haven't had any virus or malware issues in a while, so I think that should be fine.

• Staff

Hi All,

We are looking into the issues that you have with Win XP and MBAE. We will contact you if we need more logs.

All XP users, Please uninstall the latest version, and install the last working build (1.10.1.24) on XP from the link below. After installing, please turn off "Automatically upgrade to new versions" in the settings.

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/xhbp0e8xyj4iom093gdtwyervxva0zxh

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your patience.

When re-installing MBAE 1.10.1.24 on XP SP3 the installer automatically and silently downloads and installs the latest beta (1.11.1.40).

I had to turn off my internet connection and only after the correct setup I could uncheck the "upgrade new versions" box in settings tab.

Thanks anyway to Malwarebytes for the chance of using MBAE for free.