Anyone having the 3.2.2 / XP / Firefox /Adobe Reader problem with MWB Free?

I downloaded today's update of MB Premium 3.2.2 and now everything seems to have gone haywire on my Windows XP SP3 PC, so I assume the update is at fault.  I can't access Word documents, browsers, Adobe Reader or anything.  I have self-protection already disabled on the PC, so that hasn't helped.  I've tried to change the settings for the various programs in MB, but the whole thing just goes "transparent" and freezes.

Would welcome any suggestions as to how to unfreeze my computer.  In the meantime, I've done a system restore to yesterday, which I hope will have temporarily solved the problem.

• Root Admin

Hello @alisp and :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear your update had issues. Yes, the self-protection is the only real issue I'm aware of that should be causing you an issue on XP.

Let me get some logs please and we'll go from there.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

• Root Admin

Okay, here is my recommendation. Not all are related to making our program run, some just don't really need to run (in my opinion)

HKLM\...\Run: [RegTool] => C:\Program Files\Gemplus\GemSafe Libraries\BIN\RegTool.exe [40960 2006-10-04] (Gemplus)
HKLM\...\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] => C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe [153136 2007-03-01] (Nero AG)
HKLM\...\Run: [SecurDisc] => C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\NBHGui.exe [1629480 2007-06-25] (Nero AG)
HKLM\...\Run: [InCD] => C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCD.exe [1057064 2007-06-25] (Nero AG)

Do I need a Windows Registry Cleaner?
I love Nero and own it myself, but none of these tools really need to be running. Almost no one burns CD/DVD all that much anymore. Stopping these tools from running will not affect your ability to burn a CD if you want to either. I would recommend stopping all of the items above from running on startup of the computer.

Your version of Java is way out of date. Please uninstall ALL versions of Java as older versions are compromised and can help lead to an infection.

HKLM\...\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] => C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe [254696 2011-06-09] (Sun Microsystems, Inc.)

Acronis TrueImageHome is a great product, but are you using it? Have you used it? Nothing wrong with using it, if you're actually using it. If you're not using it though then it's consuming resources for no reason.

HKLM\...\Run: [AcronisTimounterMonitor] => C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe [904840 2009-06-10] (Acronis)
HKLM\...\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] => C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe [136472 2009-06-10] (Acronis)

You don't appear to be running any Symantec software yet you have their updater installed and running. I would recommend you uninstall it.

LiveUpdate 2.0 (Symantec Corporation)

You do have a scheduled backup task. Is it working? Are you backing up files?

Task: C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\____Volume_bad0624a_9f68_11dc_be56_806d6172696f______Volume_8a6deb1c_ab44_11e2_8029_001aa064f970__.job => C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\BackupTask.exe

As you can see below, the computer is experiencing quite a few errors. Due to the age of the computer many of them are to be expected but when or if possible all error should be corrected.

==================== Event log errors: =========================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (09/19/2017 07:20:22 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1001) (User: )
Description: Fault bucket 471514000.

Error: (09/19/2017 07:16:10 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: Hanging application UIMain.exe, version 1.0.0.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (09/19/2017 07:14:53 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application uimain.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module biservice.dll, version 1.0.0.1, fault address 0x00001ce6.
Processing media-specific event for [uimain.exe!ws!]

Error: (09/19/2017 07:11:23 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: Hanging application UIMain.exe, version 1.0.0.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (09/18/2017 06:21:01 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (09/12/2017 07:28:35 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1001) (User: )
Description: Fault bucket 1180947459.

Error: (09/12/2017 07:27:01 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (09/12/2017 06:49:25 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )

Error: (09/12/2017 06:37:52 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (EventID: 11922) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: SA_Error1709: StandardAction(0xC00706AD): Product: AVG -- Error 1922. SA_Error1922: StandardAction(0xC0070782): Service 'AVG WatchDog' (avgwd) could not be deleted. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to remove system services.

Error: (09/08/2017 06:17:43 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application dejavux2.exe, version 8.0.0.630, faulting module atril.dejavux2.base.engine.dll, version 8.0.0.630, fault address 0x01186c81.
Processing media-specific event for [dejavux2.exe!ws!]

System errors:
=============
Error: (09/19/2017 07:06:58 PM) (Source: W32Time) (EventID: 29) (User: )
Description: The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. 
No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes.
NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Error: (09/19/2017 07:06:58 PM) (Source: W32Time) (EventID: 17) (User: )
Description: Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually
configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15
minutes.
The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Error: (09/18/2017 06:43:06 PM) (Source: Windows Update Agent) (EventID: 16) (User: )
Description: Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Error: (09/18/2017 05:35:42 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The @%SystemRoot%\system32\bfe.dll,-1001 service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Error: (09/18/2017 05:35:42 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7009) (User: )
Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the @%SystemRoot%\system32\bfe.dll,-1001 service to connect.

Error: (09/18/2017 05:35:21 PM) (Source: 0) (EventID: 1) (User: )
Description: Event-ID 1

Error: (09/16/2017 06:20:47 PM) (Source: Windows Update Agent) (EventID: 16) (User: )
Description: Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Error: (09/14/2017 08:05:41 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The @%SystemRoot%\system32\bfe.dll,-1001 service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Error: (09/14/2017 08:05:41 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7009) (User: )
Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the @%SystemRoot%\system32\bfe.dll,-1001 service to connect.

Error: (09/14/2017 08:04:57 PM) (Source: 0) (EventID: 1) (User: )
Description: Event-ID 1

What I think the biggest issue you're having is probably due to a corrupt installation of the AVG antivirus software. Just an FYI that Avast has purchased AVG

What I would like to do is to have you temporarily uninstall your AVG antivirus software and Tune-up software.

After you uninstall AVG please use their clean removal tool to finish removing left over elements.

http://files-download.avg.com/util/tools/AVG_Remover.exe

Then user our own MB-Clean tool as well and remove and reinstall Malwarebytes. Then go to the Settings > Protection > and scroll down and click to uncheck the "self-protection module" - then restart the computer and let me know if you're still having issues with Malwarebytes or not.

Thanks

Ron

That sounds not dissimilar to what I've had.  Yesterday, I managed to open a couple of Word files perfectly fine, but then after a while if I clicked on one in Windows Explorer there was no reaction (although I could continue working on the ones which were already open - thankfully, as I had a deadline to meet).  Excel wouldn't launch, either, and nor would Firefox (having launched fine earlier).  After battling with it into the early evening, I rebooted, but then gave up and went home.  I'll try putting Ron's recommendations (thanks, Ron!) into practice when I get back into the office now that I'm under less time stress.

Well, I've uninstalled both AVG and MWB, reinstalled MWB, unchecked self-protection and everything looked all right at first.  Then I tried to install AVG - the installation ultimately failed.  Things were all right at first, but then programs (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Reader) started being blocked again, despite the fact that I could see them running in Task Manager.  So now I've uninstalled MWB again, and as soon as I got rid of that the Firefox window popped up!  So, the implication is that AVG may not even be involved at all. I'm now reinstalling AVG Internet Security, and will see what happens then!

@alisp can you also verify that you are on the latest version? We released an update last week that was designed to fix a lot of these issues. You can verify you have the latest version by going to Settings -> About and making sure you have Component Package 1.0.207. If you don't have the latest version, go to Settings -> Application and click Check for Application Updates. Then try rebooting, re-enabling all protections, and seeing if your issue exists. If not, then try another user account as mentioned by @AdvancedSetup

Capture.PNG.6493ccc6154dc774938eec39522bd311.PNG

Hello @alisp

There is still an issue getting the Latest Component update with Self Protection turned On.

As a result the "Check for application updates" might not necessarily work.

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Download the latest MB3 installer from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

2. Run the installer on top of your existing product. (You don't need to uninstall anything)

3. This installer has the latest CU 1.0.207 and you should be good to go.

Let us know how it went.

Thank you.

Well, I finally managed to get AVG Internet Security to complete reinstallation today, which is something.  Internet Explorer 8(!) is still working, which is something.  However, Firefox is refusing to launch, yet Task Manager shows one instance running.  I've just tried relaunching Adobe Reader (which was showing half-a-dozen instances in TM earlier, yet not running), to no avail - that's showing 3 instances, with only one launch attempt as far as I can see.

Clicking on MWB in the systray > Quit MWB is having no effect whatsoever, so clearly I need to disable it more thoroughly.

Incidentally, a colleague pointed out that a page on the AVG website does indicate that there is a certain incompatibility with MWB, but I don't think that's the problem here.

Just wondering whether anyone using MWB Free is having the same problem on Windows XP with things like Firefox, Adobe Reader, and maybe even Word intermittently(?) not opening?  If the problem's restricted to users of the Premium program, I'm wondering if it's worth my while downgrading until things get sorted.  I'm wasting so much time trying to get it sorted, and my clients won't wait!

I went ahead and merged your posts together as there's no need for multiple topics covering the same issue when you're already being helped.

If quitting Malwarebytes from the system tray doesn't solve your issue, then most likely it's not Malwarebytes causing the problem as this fully shuts down the program. We can confirm that it's shutting down properly by running mb-check from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_check after you quit Malwarebytes. Then upload the log file and we can confirm if it's shutdown