adwcleaner stops working

mattheus

Hi,

I'm having a problem with adwcleaner, it stops working during a scan. I'm running adwcleaner because malwarebyes gives several popups about blocked websites when i open chrome. Malwarebytes is unable to find the cause of this so i was hoping adwcleaner would. I've attached the debuglog from my scan. Ofcourse adwcleaner was run as administrator.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mattheus

AdwCleaner_Debug.log

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hello mattheus and welcome to Malwarebytes. :)

I don't know why AdwCleaner is hanging, it could be due to the same issue that is causing problems for others, that the developers are working diligently to fix.

In the meantime, let's see if we can clean up Chrome.  The detail of the blocks will be enumerated in the Website Blocking log. To send me the log, launch Malwarebytes Anti Malware .

When it opens, look on the left hand side and click 'Reports'

• Double click on the Website Blocking log
  • Click 'Export'.
  • Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
  • In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
  • In the file name: box, type a name for your scan log.
  • A message box indicating 'File Saved' should appear.
  • Click ok.

Please Attach that log to your next reply.

STEP 2:

This next scanner will not make any changes to your machine on its own, nor will it divulge any personal information that may compromise your security.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt 

Thanks for answering, but i have already found the cause of the problem. A website I regularly have opened in one of my tabs has recently started using some annoying ad script causing the first click on the website to redirect to an ad site. Malwarebytes was blocking websites when this tab was open but not when the tab was closed (stupid i didn't notice this earlier), I installed a scriptblocker in my browser and have not had any issues since.

Thank you for responding anyways.

Hi Ried,

No adwcleaner still hangs, what i am saying is that my reason for wanting to run adwcleaner disappeared. I thought i had adware because malwarebytes was blocking websites everytime I opened chrome, it was however not adware but some script running on a tab i had open. I blocked the script so no more malwarebytes popups and no more ad pages opening.