Coin Hive is not a malware

Malwaremates

I see you started blocking coin hive domains.
I'm not sure why, coin hive is an alternative to advertising.
It's not a virus or malware, it falls under adblock territory.
It doesn't damage a system, it doesn't infect it or anything.

I have a button on my site to start/stop mining, set the number of threads you wish to use as a donation method. And it doesn't help that you are labeling as MALWARE.
People get scared easily, this isn't helping anyone.
I know some sites are using it behind peoples back, that isn't right. That's why most adblockers block it by default now. And i'm fine with that.

The technology isn't malware, some people use it without permission that's all. You stigmatize a technology by the action of some admins that are already regretting doing so.

I expect malwarebytes to re-think it's position. Don't just block stuff because it has bad press or you don't like it. It's actually a pretty clever way to give people a chance to donate without the need to send cash. Websites have to survive somehow.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Malwaremates said:

I expect malwarebytes to re-think it's position.

Lol. Don't hold your breath.

I support Malwarebytes' blocking of cryptocurrency mining websites. Mining is nefarious by nature and is being abused in myriad places. If I wanted to participate in mining I'd install an add-on or download an app. I certainly will NOT be visiting your site.

23 hours ago, TheThornWithin said:

Lol. Don't hold your breath.

I support Malwarebytes' blocking of cryptocurrency mining websites. Mining is nefarious by nature and is being abused in myriad places. If I wanted to participate in mining I'd install an add-on or download an app. I certainly will NOT be visiting your site.

You didn't understand anything. Don't be so close minded.

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to this, alot of malware developers are utilizing this software to smartly embed malware into domains that use Coinhive.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/coinhive-is-rapidly-becoming-a-favorite-tool-among-malware-devs/

So, Malwarebytes blocking these domains is actually quite intelligent on their part. They should work to actually blocking the JavaScript files associated with mining.