Windows XP boot question

jimvowles

When I boot up my PC,  I get a black screen that says I can press F1 to continue 
or another option (F2) to enter setup.  I tried setup, but did not see that reference there. 
My hard drive checks out fine, and I even contacted Microsoft to update my BIOS, but could not eliminate that screen. 
I have SP3 and would like to know if this is normal now. 

Just so you know, I recently had an infection in my system which MB helped me through (Thanks Larry). 
Also, my knowledge of computer systems is just above the novice level. 

• Root Admin
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, jimvowles said:

I even contacted Microsoft to update my BIOS, but could not eliminate that screen. 

Curious

How was Microsoft able to connect to that computer if it cannot boot past the initial F1 screen? Or, are you saying it boots and if you press the F1 key it will boot into Windows XP ?

On 9/28/2017 at 12:40 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Curious

How was Microsoft able to connect to that computer if it cannot boot past the initial F1 screen? Or, are you saying it boots and if you press the F1 key it will boot into Windows XP ?

They did not connect to it.  I strike F1 and boot into XP as normal.  

This has been a long-time occurrence, unrelated to my recent infection. 

I looked into getting a cleaner program, but the ones I looked at were not compatible with XP.  I am pretty much a novice after all.

Besides, I did not want to mess up my system by making changes without knowing what I am doing. 

As I said above, I just got over an infection, so I do not want to give myself more problems. 

On another note, when I re-installed Chrome after the infection, it loads three tabs when I start it up. 

I looked at getting Chrome Cleanup, but it is also not compatible with Windows XP.  Google has been no help so far. 

I keep looking in the forums for the solution to these challenges, but have yet to find them.  

Jim

On 9/27/2017 at 10:34 AM, Firefox said:

Hello and Welcome!

Is there any other info on that black screen?  Can you take a picture of it with your cell phone and provide a screenshot?

Thanks

Thanks for your interest Firefox, there is in fact only one other line of text: 

"Diskette drive 0 seek failure" in the middle of the page.   The two options (F1 and F2) are at the bottom. 

I simply press F1 to continue my boot.  Once it bools up, XP works normally. 

Jim

• Root Admin

Go back into your BIOS and there should be a setting that sets it back to DEFAULT - give that a try and save it and exit, restart. See if the error is still there or not.

If it is then look for a diskette for available drives and uncheck it. Then save and restart again.

Ron, 

Resetting my BIOS to default did not correct it,  both standard BIOS and advanced BIOS.  

I will try your second suggestion.  I have 2 diskettes:  

1. Drivers and utilities

2. Applications

I presume you mean #1, but will wait for further instructions first. 

As a novice, that is the best way to go. 

Jim

5 hours ago, Firefox said:

Here is one simple video that shows how to disable the floppy disk controller in the bios...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmGywjTPyR0

Thanks for that link.  I followed that link, but the system did not seem to match mine.  

However, on the same page as that link was another video that matched my computer and problem exactly.

I included the link below here in case someone else has the same problem with their Dell XP (Aspire One). 

https://youtu.be/0DZ12YtHQdA