Cannot run Malwarebytes

lawyerjim

I run Malwarebytes about once a month then clone the hard drive to a backup.  Last done on 09/14.   I suspect that I have a virus.  I tried to run Malwarebytes but it would not start.  I uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing changed.  Also, I cannot run Spybot Search and Destroy nor SuperAntispyware.

I've read thru some posts and tried what was recommended but no joy.

Please let me know where to begin as this is bordering on an emergency.

Thanks,

Jim

Gateway FX\PC\Windows 7

Edited by lawyerjim

Hello Jim and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Let me see those logs in your reply....

Thank you,

Kevin

Check for and delete untrusted root CA certificates:

• Select Windows key and R key together,,
  • In the Run dialog box type MMC, and then click OK.
  • The Microsoft Management Console (MMC) appears.
  • In the MMC, on the Console menu, click File then Add/Remove Snap-in....
  • In the Add or Remove Snap-in dialog box, click Certificates, and then click Add.
  • In the Certificates snap-in dialog box, click My User Account, and then click Finish.
  • click OK on Add or Remove Snap ins.
  • Expand the Certificates Current User node by double click
  • Expand UnTrusted Certification by double click
  • Double Click Certificates Trust List.
  • The details pane appears, showing all of the root CA certificates that are currently untrusted.

If there are untrusted Certificates listed for Malwarebytes or any other Security Programs delete them....

Let me know if untrusted certs are found...

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

save it to a USB flash drive. Ensure to get the correct version for your system, 32 bit or 64 bit...

Next,

Select Windows Start flag, then Settings...

user posted image

From the settings window select "Update and Security"

user posted image

From the next windows select "Recovery"

user posted image

Then select "Restart Now"

Your PC will boot to the "Choose an Option" window, from that window select "Troubleshoot"

user posted image

From the next window select "Advanced Options"

user posted image

From the next window select "Command Prompt"

user posted image

Ensure to plug the Flashdrive into an open USB port, Continue with the following:

• In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type E:\frst64 or E:\frst depending on your version. Press Enter
  • Note: Replace letter E with the drive letter of your flash drive. <<<----vey important
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. You will need to boot back to Normal windows to post the log, or if applicable do that action from a spare PC...
  • To boot back to windows, type exit at the prompt and hit enter
  • Please copy and paste or attach FRST log to your reply.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!