ADW vs MBAM

Varmint

I know this sounds silly, but I've been tasked by work to get an answer to this.

We don't allow techs to just download and run any utility software they find on the internet, it has to be on an approval list.  Someone has requested that ADW be added to our list.  Mgmt is asking why we should allow this when MBAM already does the same thing.

Can anyone explain exactly what the difference between MBAM and ADW is?

• Staff

Hello,

Just now, Varmint said:

I know this sounds silly

It's not :)

1 minute ago, Varmint said:

Can anyone explain exactly what the difference between MBAM and ADW is?

AdwCleaner is a portable scanner/remediation tool which doesn't need to be installed on the system. It's one self-contained and low on resources executable (whereas MBAM requires to be installed and is a more heavy).

It's also more focused on PUP/Adware/Toolbars and related infections, thus it's able to scan and remove them faster than MBAM which is able to catch more threats and not only toolbars/adware/... .

So it really depends on your needs here, but both are complementary and a lot of people are doing that.

Regards,