I was emailed from morganstanley to my hotmail email asking log activate.

Hi,

This is the email message  received to my Hotmail E-mail. I still don't do any action. I don't remember I have an account at this website(https://login.morganstanleyclientserv.com/) from which I was emailed to verify my  details and reactivate my login.

MorganStanley ClientServ (662TS)

M
MorganStanley <from.id.66272041568685647004.6627204156@6627204156.brightonapartments.net>

Reply|
Today, 11:01 PM
You

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Show blocked content

Monday, Sept. 25, 2017

Client Serv (TS6 [188.95.76.165])

Our records have indicated suspicious activity on your account.

Due to this we had to disable your login until you verify your information.

Simply verify your details and reactivate your login by clicking the following link:

https://www.morganstanleyclientserv.com/2355-GK23/activate/5361507157OJS5  

• MorganStanley - ClientServ Team

Edited by AdvancedSetup

55 minutes ago, Aura said:

Hi cooperator :)

This is a phishing email. You can see the sender's email address, and it isn't from MorganStanley at all. Even the URL leads to another website. You can ignore and delete it.

Thanks a lot,  Aura

Yes, but from where could that phishing email get my Hotmail E-mail? But, have you tried launching the URL to know that it leads to another website?

If you have looked at the URL again, you will see it have MorganStanley, 

https://www.morganstanleyclientserv.com/2355-GK23/activate/5361507157OJS5
Edited by AdvancedSetup
Remove Hyperlink

Please do not post live links that are malicious on the forums.

If your email address has been publicly posted somewhere on the Internet, any bot could have scappred it and added it to a spam list. Also, the URL you posted isn't going to the MorganStanley website, but a kaif.info domain. Move your mouse over it (without clicking on the link), and look in the bottom left corner of your web browser, you'll see.

52 minutes ago, Aura said:

Please do not post live links that are malicious on the forums.

If your email address has been publicly posted somewhere on the Internet, any bot could have scappred it and added it to a spam list. Also, the URL you posted isn't going to the MorganStanley website, but a kaif.info domain. Move your mouse over it (without clicking on the link), and look in the bottom left corner of your web browser, you'll see.

Thanks a lot, yes I now recognised that it is for another website. I don't remember that I use this Hotmail E-mail address of mine  to publicly post somewhere. Anyway,  how do you think to protect me from further phishing emails? I can now protect my Hotmail E-mail address from those phishing email websites saved my email in their databases?

There's honestly nothing you can do about it. Once your email address is out in the open, anyone can scrap it and use it in their mailing list. You can set up strong spam filters if you use a desktop client (like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) or use a provider that have strong spam filters as well (like Gmail). Other than that, there's nothing else.

9 hours ago, Aura said:

Hi cooperator,

Are you still with me?

Hi, Aura,

Yes, I am still with you. But, no replies being posted since I think I have run out all suggestions. I had tried to mark it as a solved thread, but I didn't find any option.

Edited by cooperator

3 minutes ago, Aura said:

You cannot mark threads as solved, I can. If we're done here, I'll close it and move it in the "Resolved" logs section :) 

Yes, but before having it be closed, then you suggest to make a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and with  Adware or some other removing utilities. 

Adding to what @Aura said, if your email address is an entry in someone else's address book AND it had been compromised, it is likely that everyone that person knows got an email similar to the one you received.  The best way for you to handle things like this is to:

• Not respond to things that make no sense
  • Never click an "unsubscribe" link (this validates your email address as a live one, causing you to receive even more of these)
  • Hover over links to find out where they actually go (regardless of who they say they are), and ignore any that raise doubts on your part

Bad guys look for easy prey.  Don't be the easy prey.  You could always raise a question on this forum if you are unsure, and people will be glad to help you stay safe.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!