Possible Malware from Downloading a Game

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start by saying I am not a computer wiz, but know enough about computers and the web to know how and how not to get viruses. I have never once visited any questionable web sites and never illegally downloaded anything. The only programs on my computer are those from well-known sources that I know are trustworthy.

Here is my problem: the other day I installed a game called League of Legends on my PC for the first time. As I went through the installation process it asked for permissions that I thought looked pretty normal (I admit I did not read much of it because I've downloaded League on many other computers before and it is a world-renowned game). However, the last thing I noticed that really stood out to me was that a cmd prompt appeared. I've never seen this pop up in any program I've ever downloaded so I thought it was odd. I googled it and a couple random (unofficial) people on random League forums said it was normal for the client to ask this in order to rewrite a couple of the game's files or League icon. I then pressed OK to the cmd prompt without really thinking, but then mentioned it to some friends who know much more about computers than I and they said this could be a malware. I then contacted League support and the representative told me it actually does indeed sound like malware. I emailed him back my League of Legends logs and he couldn't find anything wrong with them, so I ran a bunch of antivirus programs.

I tried Malwarebytes and it didn't find any threats. So then I tried Avast and Windows Defender as well and still no threats have been found.

Does this sound like malware to the computer pros on this forum? Should I be worried?

Thanks all

Hi Aura!

And that's what I thought as well. I definitely downloaded it from the official web page. But I read that it is possible for the malware to sit on your computer and activate by latching on to certain programs you download.

This idea was reinforced when the League support representative said "Our client itself doesn't contain Malware, and while I can't speak for what actions you did with your computer prior to downloading League, this issue in question chose to show itself while downloading the League Client." This statement, of course, got me thinking that there definitely was malware on my computer that latched onto the game somehow. 

I'm confused as to why support wouldn't be aware that a cmd prompt sometimes occurs when installing the game. Does it sound normal to you for this to occur?

Thank you so much for your time!

But I read that it is possible for the malware to sit on your computer and activate by latching on to certain programs you download.

I've never heard of a malware that "hatches" when downloading and installing League of Legends.

I'm confused as to why support wouldn't be aware that a cmd prompt sometimes occurs when installing the game. Does it sound normal to you for this to occur?

Without speaking against Riot Games and their support, most people in a support position aren't aware of the technicalities behind the products they support. The command prompt prompt could be part of the normal installation process, or only present on certain systems if X condition(s) is/are met.