Licensing issue

I have the same issue regularly. One out of 3 updates or so fails to reinstall the service. However this isn't limited to MB.

Teamviewer does the same thing.

One day I'll be remotely connected fine, the next it won't appear because the auto-updater was botched.

Which brings me to my request:

Can you guys preserve license information on uninstall? Or provide a prompt asking if we want to remove license information?

I have to uninstall (obviously) to fix this, but uninstalling removes my license, and I don't want to risk breaking my key (contacting support is an extra hassle I'd like to avoid if I can).

Edited by Phoenix84

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You can/should deactivate from the my account section of MB. 

I can't do that when I can't start MB because the upgrade failed (Cannot connect to service error).

EDIT:

Or, possibly, rollback the upgrade process if it fails, instead of continuing in an erred state.

Edited by Phoenix84

Just now, Phoenix84 said:

I can't do that when I can't start MB because the upgrade failed.

Can you try installing the latest 3.2.2.2018 over your existing product and let me know if that worked.

Just download the latest installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Run the installer on top of your existing product. No need to uninstall.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Can you try installing the latest 3.2.2.2018 over your existing product and let me know if that worked.

Just download the latest installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Run the installer on top of your existing product. No need to uninstall.

Too late, I already reinstalled it manually, however I'll keep that in mind the next time.

EDIT: Actually, it wasn't the auto-updater that failed, I actually tried to upgrade manually by downloading the installer. It failed, so I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Edited by Phoenix84

Too late, I already reinstalled it manually, however I'll keep that in mind the next time.

Well if it is not working we need some diag logs.

1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  3. Press the "Scan" button
  4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE:
    These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  1. Create and obtain an mb-check log
  1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  4. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well if it is not working we need some diag logs.

1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  3. Press the "Scan" button
  4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE:
    These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  1. Create and obtain an mb-check log
  1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  4. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Is it ok if I PM this to you?

I don't like how much information is in these logs, and would be publicly available.

Is it ok if I PM this to you?

I don't like how much information is in these logs, and would be publicly available.

There is nothing in there that can be used but if you feel that way I will have staff answer this thread.  Be aware it can take longer because it is the weekend.

@dcollins @nikhils @AdvancedSetup

Just now, Porthos said:

There is nothing in there that can be used but if you feel that way I will have staff answer this thread.  Be aware it can take longer because it is the weekend.

@dcollins @nikhils @AdvancedSetup

Thanks. Time isn't an issue, I'm in no rush as I resolved the installation issue myself.

Mostly, the issue is it contains my name (and my wife's, since it's our usernames).

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So it is working. I am confused.

Heh, sorry. I just came in here to make a request regarding licensing. :-)

Here's what happened:

1) My wife's computer (I guess) tried to auto-update sometime recently, but it failed and MB was removed. I noticed this when my wife was have issues with malware.

2) I reinstalled MBAM on her laptop, and the license information was preserved, telling me was a botched self-update. At this time I noticed I downloaded a newer version than I had on my own PC.

3) I downloaded the new version on my PC and attempted an install over the existing one. This failed.

4) I uninstalled MBAM, rebooted, and installed it again from the previously downloaded file

5) Had to reenter license information due to it not preserving it on my machine (while it did on my wife's).

6) Came here to ask for an option to preserve license information on uninstall :D

Edited by Phoenix84

13 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

6) Came here to ask for an option to preserve license information on uninstall

If you can't deactivate it and the key gets blocked just contact the help desk for a reset. 

https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us

Edited by Porthos