Malwarebytes will not install

nariyochi

Please let me explain. I never have participated in diffusing malware, as the guy whose Forum was shuted down.

I had installed MB since few years ago. I tried to update to the last version  at MB notification, and I got the runtime error 42:120. After many tries,

I got convinced that I had been infected. I looked for advice and found a video at Youtube whose instruction I followed. The results

were that I had no MB certificates entries when I run certmgr.msc. The video I used said that I had to uninstall MB and reinstall MB,

which I did. Result: the runtime error 42:120 did desappear, but I got runtime error 72:120 instead. Since then I am stuck with the problem

of not been able to install MB again.

My PC (win 10Pro) still works fine, but bothers me to not have MB protection.

Hello nariyochi and welcome to Malwarebytes,

My screen name is kevinf80, i`m here to help clean up your system. Make sure to run all scans from accounts with Administrator status, continue as follows please:

Anyone other than the original starter of this thread please DO NOT follow the instructions and advice posted as replies here, my help and advice is NOT related to your system and will probably cause more harm than good...

Next,

RogueKiller is a powerful tool. So, it is preferable that a helper checks the scan results to avoid potential false positives even if if the tool is equipped with a quarantine.

Download RogueKiller and save it on your desktop, ensure to download correct version..

RogueKiller (X86)

RogueKiller (x64)

• Exit all running applications.
  • Double-click on RogueKiller.exe to launch the tool. On its first execution, RogueKiller will disply the software license (EULA), click on "Accept" to continue.
  • If RogueKiller is unable to load, do not hesitate to try launching it several times or rename it winlogon.
  • Click "Start Scan" to begin the analysis. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan is complete, click the "Open TXT" button to display the scan report.
  • Copy/Paste it's content in your next reply.

Note : A "Premium" version of the tool is available, but the free version provides everything you need to clean your machine.

Next,

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Let me see those logs in your reply...

Thank you,

Kevin....

Thank you for replying to my request. I 've downloaded RogueKiller and run it without

any issue. I deleted 3 entries and rebooted my Pc. I tried to see if MB installed, but no,

I kept on getting the 72:120 runtime error. Would you please advive me in what is next.

I 'm enclosig the RogueKiller report. Thank You.

Rogue Killer Report.txt

On 5/9/2017 at 3:16 PM, kevinf80 said:
Hello nariyochi and welcome to Malwarebytes,

My screen name is kevinf80, i`m here to help clean up your system. Make sure to run all scans from accounts with Administrator status, continue as follows please:

Anyone other than the original starter of this thread please DO NOT follow the instructions and advice posted as replies here, my help and advice is NOT related to your system and will probably cause more harm than good...

Next,

RogueKiller is a powerful tool. So, it is preferable that a helper checks the scan results to avoid potential false positives even if if the tool is equipped with a quarantine.

Download RogueKiller and save it on your desktop, ensure to download correct version..

RogueKiller (X86)

RogueKiller (x64)

• Exit all running applications.
  • Double-click on RogueKiller.exe to launch the tool. On its first execution, RogueKiller will disply the software license (EULA), click on "Accept" to continue.
  • If RogueKiller is unable to load, do not hesitate to try launching it several times or rename it winlogon.
  • Click "Start Scan" to begin the analysis. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan is complete, click the "Open TXT" button to display the scan report.
  • Copy/Paste it's content in your next reply.

Note : A "Premium" version of the tool is available, but the free version provides everything you need to clean your machine.

Next,

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Thank you,

Kevin....

22 minutes ago, nariyochi said:

Thank you for replying to my request. I 've downloaded RogueKiller and run it without

any issue. I deleted 3 entries and rebooted my Pc. I tried to see if MB installed, but no,

I kept on getting the 72:120 runtime error. Would you please advive me in what is next.

I 'm enclosig the RogueKiller report. Thank You.

Rogue Killer Report.txt

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into. "Do not open that file"
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

Or from this Mirror

• Double click on Adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Click on the Scan in the Actions box
  • Please wait fot the scan to finish..
  • When "Waiting for action.Please uncheck elements you want to keep" shows in top line..
  • Click on the Cleaning box.
  • Next click OK on the "Closing Programs" pop up box.
  • Click OK on the Information box & again OK to allow the necessary reboot
  • After restart the AdwCleaner(C*)-Notepad log will appear, please copy/paste it in your next reply. Where * is the number relative to list of scans completed...

Next,

Download Malwarebytes version 3 from the following link:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Double click on the installer and follow the prompts. If necessary select the Blue Help tab for video instructions....

When the install completes and is updated do the following:

Open Malwarebytes, select > "settings" > "protection tab"

Scroll down to "Scan Options" ensure Scan for Rootkits and Scan within Archives are both on....

Go back to "DashBoard" select the Blue "Scan Now" tab......

When the scan completes deal with any found entries... Then select "Export Summary" then "Text File (*.txt)" name that log and save , you can copy or attach that to your reply...

If you have lost the activation licence key information it can be located here: http://www.cleverbridge.com/342/?scope=cusecolp

Thank you,

Kevin

fixlist.txt

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the advice. However, I did follow all the steps you asked me to do, but when I tried to install the MB downloaded from the link

you gave me, the runtime error 72:120 kept on appearing. I have to commente two things:(1) After finishing the first scan (with FRST and fixlist.txt on

the Desktop) there appeared a notification telling me to reboot, which I did. Well, the reboot screen stayed on for more than 40 minutes; I thought that

my pc was stalled and shutted it off. The same thing happened after running  the adwcleaner: the blue screen with the "rebooting" sign ran for more

than 50 min before I stopped it by pressing the shut down button. I did get the log files, which I'm enclosing. It seems that the infection is quite stubborn.

Thank you very much again and hope that you can find the way to kill.

AdwCleaner[C0].txt

AdwCleaner[S0].txt

Fixlog.txt

19 hours ago, kevinf80 said:

Ok thanks for the update,....

Hello Kevin, just to inform you that I tried the rootkit software sugested by shadowwar, and it did not find any

malware. And however, I can not install MB, and keep on getting error 72:120. Do you have any other suggestion

to solve my problem?  I thank you for your time and effort.

nariyochi (in Mexico City, MEXICO).

I do not see any obvious malware or infection in the FRST logs, run the following:

Download RKill from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

There are three buttons to choose from with different names on, select the first one and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7/8/10, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this in your next reply.
  • If you do not see the black box flash on the screen delete the icon from the desktop and go back to the link for the download, select the next button and try to run the tool again, continue to repeat this process using the remaining buttons until the tool runs. You will find further links if you scroll down the page with other names, try them one at a time.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Next,

Download Malwarebytes version 3 from the following link:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Double click on the installer and follow the prompts. If necessary select the Blue Help tab for video instructions....

When the install completes and is updated do the following:

Open Malwarebytes, select > "settings" > "protection tab"

Scroll down to "Scan Options" ensure Scan for Rootkits and Scan within Archives are both on....

Go back to "DashBoard" select the Blue "Scan Now" tab......

When the scan completes deal with any found entries...

To get the log from Malwarebytes do the following:

• Click on the Report tab > from main interface.
  • Double click on the Scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click Export > From export you have two options:
    Copy to Clipboard - if seleted right click to your reply and select "Paste" log will be pasted to your reply
    Text file (*.txt)
    - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply

Please use "Copy to Clipboard, then Right click to your reply > select "Paste" that will copy the log to your reply…

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

I did what you suggested me to do with no good results. The only thing that changed

when I tried to install MB was that the runtime error this time was  79:120 and changed from the 72:120

I was getting before. I enclose the file Rkill.txt. I hope you are not running out of patience with this problem.

Best regards and thank you

nariyochi

I never lose patience nariyochi, lets try to install with Chameleon.....

Install Malwarebytes via Chamelon...

Download the Chameleon zip file from https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/chameleon and extract it to a new folder on your desktop.

user posted image

Make certain that your PC is connected to the internet and then open the new folder.

Inside the folder expand each sub folder until you have windows folder open with list of entries of renamed Malwarebytes executable files....

user posted image

Double click on each in turn until one will work...

If successful follow the prompts to install and update.

When the update completes amend these settings :-

• Select Settings tab > Detection and Protection sub tab, Detection Options, tick the box "Scan for rootkits".
  • Under Non-Malware Protection sub tab Change PUP and PUM entries to Treat detections as Malware
  • Click on the Scan tab,
  • When complete post the log..

and run a threat scan......

Post that log...

Thank you,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much, I was finally able to install Malwarebytes. Following the procedure you

gave me,  using chamaleon I was able to install Malwarebytes right from the first try firefox.com.

chamaleon can really impersonate anySW, as it seems. The installation of MB was able to recover

my Premium MB license number. As per your instructions, I ran MB with the settings you gave me and found

more than 400 PUP and PUM, including programs that I payed for like Advaced System Care (ASC) and REIMAGE.

In fact, the majority of entries were from these two applications. I eliminated all the entries, no matter their source.

The results of the first scan are in the file Scan 1.txt

The second scan only produced 2 entries (see Scan 2.txt), which I also eliminated. I just wanted to be sure. Well,

it seem that the problem(s) I started the forum for have been solved. I congratulate you Kevin, and thank you very

much. However, I'm concerned with additional two issues: among the possible culprits of the problems my Pc experienced

are  Advanced SystemCare, which is a sw that I trust and has been very useful to keep my pc clean of useless files

and a clean registry, additional to many other helpful tools. The other concern is REIMAGE, which seem to be a legitimate swScan 1.txt

and works well(?) to correct Windows problems. What would be your advice? Should I forget about them altogether?  or should

I keep them? I hope not to abuse  your time and kindness.

Scan 1.txt; Scan 2.txt

Hello nariyochi,

Advanced System Care and Reimage do have a dubious history, personally I would not use that software. You will note they were classed as PUP`s "Potentionally Unwanted Programs"

In your logs there were references to Spigot, that is a browser hijacker and will cause problems for your browsers and your system. I bet you never installed it yourself, spigot is known to come piggybacked on free software and certain paid for software. I believe you will know why spigot got onto your system....

Lets run FRST again and get a fresh set of logs, if those are clean we can finish up...

Run FRST one more time, ensure all boxes are checkmarked under "Whitelist" but only Addition.txt under "Optional scan" Select scan, when done post the new logs. "FRST.txt" and "Addition.txt"

Thank you,

Kevin...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!