Updating new Malwarebytes on Mac

I have the new Malwarebytes 3 for mac running on my computer; i went to see how much longer the free trial has when i noticed that there was a update avaliable for Malwarebytes.
I downloaded the pkg file and it updated Mlawarebytes from the 3.0.1 version to 3.0.2 without any hassle. Theres just one thing on my mind...

I dont remember if the older Anti-Malware app of Malwarebytes for Mac did this as i belive it used to update automatically when there was an update avaliable.
Does Malwarebytes 3 for Mac rerquire to download a pkg file for updates now? Was it like that in the older version?

• Staff

The older Malwarebytes Anti-Malware would self-update, with some user interaction, but it was a much simpler app. We do plan to incorporate self-updating again in Malwarebytes for Mac in the future, though. We want to target the ability to update just specific components, as can be done with our Windows software. But we're not there yet on the Mac.