Lifetime Licences / Malwarebytes for Mac

From Magdala's topic  "Malwarebytes"

On 29/08/2017 at 0:36 AM, celee said:

My apologies, I thought you meant the actual products running on their respective OSes.

If you purchased your key after July 31 (when Malwarebytes for Mac launched), this "new" license key can be used to activate Premium on either the Windows or Mac version of Malwarebytes.

If you purchased your key before July 31, that license key will only work on Malwarebytes 3 for Windows. 

If you have the old lifetime license, that license key will only work on Malwarebytes 3 for Windows.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Cecile

That's interesting. In another thread a couple of weeks ago treed seemed to say that lifetime keys would not work with, or be issued for with the Mac version (the unstated underlying message being that they were different products)

The quote above seems to set equivalence between the versions for the different platforms, which changes the game entirely - it's now admitted to be the same product - just expanded in scope.

My situation is that I have two lifetime keys, both initially used on Windows systems. One of those systems has been retired and replaced by the MacBook that I'm typing this on now. The other windows PC is still in use for things that I can only do on that platform (it gets turned on briefly a couple of times a week). With the retirement of my Windows Development laptop, I have a lifetime licence spare that I'd really like to use on what is now my main system.

Even if you don't engineer the Mac version to accept lifetime keys (and I can think of good reasons other than backdoor expiry of lifetime keys not to do so - anti piracy being the main one), there are still ways that you could honour lifetime licences where the keyholder chooses to change platform. For example allow lifetime keys to be redeemed to prime an online account to issue annual new style keys FOC to the lifetime keyholder. To be honest that scheme might work well for Windows lifetime users as well, honouring the licence whilst keeping those powerful lifetime keys under greater control.

x64

• Administrators

Hi @x64,

5 minutes ago, x64 said:

That's interesting. In another thread a couple of weeks ago treed seemed to say that lifetime keys would not work with, or be issued for with the Mac version (the unstated underlying message being that they were different products)

What Thomas stated is correct: lifetime licenses will not be issued for he Mac version nor will any old lifetime license work on the Mac product.

8 minutes ago, x64 said:

The quote above seems to set equivalence between the versions for the different platforms, which changes the game entirely - it's now admitted to be the same product - just expanded in scope.

Malwarebytes for Windows and Malwarebytes for Macs are different products with different features, but both were engineered to accept the new license keys. Similar to what I stated in quoted text above, Malwarebytes for Mac will not accept any license keys purchased before July 31. But if you purchased a key after July 31, that license key will be accepted in either the Windows or Mac version.