Jump to content
MadDemon64

Malwarebytes System Tray Icon Missing After Latest Update

Recommended Posts

Ok, let's try this then!

  1. Download the attached CrashDumps.zip file
  2. Extract the CrashDump.reg file from inside of it
  3. Double click the CrashDump.reg file and say yes to the prompt to import the values
  4. Now go ahead and use/restart your computer as normal. When the application crashes, it should create a dump file in C:\dumps
  5. Please zip up the dump file and attach it here, or use wetransfer.com to send the file to dcollins@malwarebytes.com 

CrashDumps.zip

Edited by dcollins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Ok, let's try this then!

  1. Download the attached CrashDumps.zip file
  2. Extract the CrashDump.reg file from inside of it
  3. Double click the CrashDump.reg file and say yes to the prompt to import the values
  4. Now go ahead and use/restart your computer as normal. When the application crashes, it should create a dump file in C:\dumps
  5. Please zip up the dump file and attach it here, or use wetransfer.com to send the file to dcollins@malwarebytes.com 

CrashDumps.zip

I will, but first I'm going to try something someone else suggested who had the same problem with the system tray: turn off self-protection mode early start and scan for rootkits (from 

)

If this works we might have figured out the cause of the problem, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cause yes, but not the fix. The crash dump is the best way to find the solution. But definitely try it and see if it helps your situation at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dcollins said:

The cause yes, but not the fix. The crash dump is the best way to find the solution. But definitely try it and see if it helps your situation at all

I'm honestly a little hesitant about the crash dump because I once went a week without an issue with mbamtray.  It's random at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fine, this setting just stays enabled and will catch a crash dump if/when it happens, should have no other impact. But as I mentioned, it can't hurt to test the other settings and know if that resolves your issue, it could at least narrow down the hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dcollins said:

That's fine, this setting just stays enabled and will catch a crash dump if/when it happens, should have no other impact. But as I mentioned, it can't hurt to test the other settings and know if that resolves your issue, it could at least narrow down the hunt

I'll give my computer about a week, maybe two.  If mbamtray doesn't crash by then, we might have found the cause, that being the rootkit scan and/or self-protection mode early start, though I never did turn on self-protection mode early start anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lyradd said:

Just to say I'm having the same problem for many weeks now.

Looks like the suggestion I followed was correct: turning off rootkit scans and self-protection mode early start lets the mbam tray start without any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MadDemon64 said:

Looks like the suggestion I followed was correct: turning off rootkit scans and self-protection mode early start lets the mbam tray start without any problems.

Just an FYI that doesn't help on my 32-bit Vista system.  I've always had both rootkit scanning (Settings | Protection | Scan Options | Scan for Rootkits) and self-protection early start (Settings | Protection | Startup Options | Enable Self-Protection Module Early Start) disabled and the executable for my MB v3.2.2 system tray (mbamtray.exe) still crashes intermittently (approx. every 3rd or 4th re-boot of my system).

I started my own topic MB v3.2.2 - SystemTray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH back in August 2017.  I haven't been able to isolate the cause but I suspect it has something to do with order that processes are loaded into memory when I log into my Windows account after my system is booted up.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS Premium v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2.2018-1.0.212

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the new version didn't fix it.  It's still happening.

Or should I completely uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes to make sure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go ahead and try a clean re-install to see if it helps... if it does not please provide a new set of logs.

 

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install)

  1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.3.1.2183 CU 1.0.236) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (after you run all the tools requested, all the logs will be combined into one log file named: mb-check-results.zip located on your Desktop (which will include the FRST logs inside the zip file))
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.2.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions


Please let us know how it goes.


Thank You,

Firefox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Firefox said:

Go ahead and try a clean re-install to see if it helps... if it does not please provide a new set of logs.

 

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install)

  1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.3.1.2183 CU 1.0.236) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (after you run all the tools requested, all the logs will be combined into one log file named: mb-check-results.zip located on your Desktop (which will include the FRST logs inside the zip file))
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.2.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

 


Please let us know how it goes.


Thank You,

Firefox

I'm wondering: every time this occurs, I get an error message that says the faulting module is Kernelbase.dll.  This seems to only affect Malwarebytes related programs, including Malwarebytes tray, the mbam clean program you linked for me, and on occasion werfault when it tries to report that the faulting module for mbamtray was kernelbase.dll.

Does that mean the problem isn't with Malwarebytes but with my kernelbase.dll?  I've run sfc /scannow but it doesn't show any corruption or anything with kernelbase.dll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Firefox said:

Not sure, we will have to wait for @dcollins to weigh in on that...

Oh, wait, I forgot. A lot of people seem to have the same problem I have.  It's probably not my kernalbase.dll that's the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely it's not your kernelbase.dll file, that's just a Windows DLL that many programs tie in to when running. 

Were you able to get a crashdump of the issue on this latest version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Most likely it's not your kernelbase.dll file, that's just a Windows DLL that many programs tie in to when running. 

Were you able to get a crashdump of the issue on this latest version?

No, because I was hoping the new version would fix the problem.  I'm kinda doing the same with the complete reinstall of the new version, but if it happens again I will get you those crash dumps.  After it happens after that time, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it happened again, but I read in another thread from someone whose system tray also isn't starting that I should download the latest version, which I did.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had small problems with the Malwarebytes Tray App crashing when I have to reboot my computer after windows updates and updating my AV. The faulting path is also kernall.dll so I'm closely monitoring this thread. 

No issues with it during a normal boot up though. Using win 8.1 as well.

Edited by hopper15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.