Malwarebytes System Tray Icon Missing After Latest Update

After the latest Malwarebytes update, the system tray icon stopped showing up.  The program still runs fine; it still blocks malware, and it still scans as it should, but now the system tray doesn't show the Malwarebytes icon.

Is this a bug or a feature?  I ask because one of the improvements listed is "improved memory usage." The system tray icon for Nvidia Geforce experience disappeared when I updated it last, and according to the forums this was to "reduce the system footprint," so I'm wondering if Malwarebyte's missing system tray icon is meant to improve memory usage or because my update somehow screwed up.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, according to this, it's launching properly. Can you open up Task Manager (press Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and go to the Details Tab. Look through this list and see if mbamtray.exe is in this list. Can you also run FRST as outlined below and run mb-check again so we can get the new log files

Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs

1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  3. Press the "Scan" button
  4. This will product two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions

Thanks, let's grab two more things if possible please

1. Open a command prompt window by pressing the Windows + R and type cmd in the box. Then click Ok
  2. In the black box that pops up, type the following command (you can copy/paste it as well)
    • tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq mbamtray.exe" /v
  3. Take a screenshot of the window
  4. Close this window
  5. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc
  6. Go to the Details tab
  7. Find mbamtray.exe, right click it and choose "Create dump file"
  8. Wait for the process to finish, it may look like nothing is happening, and when the window pops up, find the file listed in the window
  9. Upload the file here, or if it's too big, use wetransfer.com to send the file to dcollins@malwarebytes.com

Thanks!

Very interesting, let's try killing the process and trying to relaunch it while running DebugView. The instructions below outline what needs to be done:

1. Open Malwarebytes using the desktop icon
  2. Navigate to Settings -> Protection
  3. Turn off the option for "Enable self-protection module"
  4. Close Malwarebytes
  5. Download DebugView from https://live.sysinternals.com/dbgview.exe
  6. Launch DebugView
  7. Open C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbamtray.exe
  8. Wait for 30 seconds and verify that the tray icon is still missing
  9. In DebugView, click the Save Icon to save the log
  10. Upload the saved log file

Sorry for all the steps here, we're not able to reproduce this internally

Hi MadDemon64:

I don't want to interfere with Devin's troubleshooting but I'm seeing a similar issue, so I went ahead and started my own thread at MB v3.2.2 - SystemTray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH.  For some reason, my mbamtray.exe crashes on my first boot-up of the day, but only on days when I have a Threat Scan scheduled to run.

I'm not overly concerned but if your problem returns I'd be happy to submit crash dumps to Malwarebytes for analysis.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * MB Premium v3.2.2.2018-1.0.188
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

• 3 weeks later...

Today the tray icon didn't start up, even though Malwarebytes itself was working just fine.  I looked through my error logs and found this:

Faulting application name: mbamtray.exe, version: 3.0.0.1169, time stamp: 0x5997224a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18790, time stamp: 0x598d1b42
Exception code: 0xc0000142
Fault offset: 0x0009d4c2
Faulting process id: 0xf44
Faulting application start time: 0x01d33147da51fbf2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
Faulting module path: KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1b39db4c-9d3b-11e7-bfd4-d8cb8a851bf7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2017-09-19T13:04:45.000000000Z

EventRecordID 65329

Channel Application

Computer Aaron

Security
- EventData
      mbamtray.exe
      5997224a
      KERNELBASE.dll
      598d1b42
      c0000142
      0009d4c2
      f44
      01d33147da51fbf2
      C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
      KERNELBASE.dll
      1b39db4c-9d3b-11e7-bfd4-d8cb8a851bf7

Does this mean anything to anyone?

11 hours ago, MadDemon64 said:

Today the tray icon didn't start up, even though Malwarebytes itself was working just fine.  I looked through my error logs and found this:

Faulting application name: mbamtray.exe, version: 3.0.0.1169, time stamp: 0x5997224a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18790, time stamp: 0x598d1b42...

Hi MadDemon64:

I see the same Event ID 1000 errors for mbamtray.exe when the MB icon fails to load in the system tray at boot-up, except that the faulting module is kernel32.dll on my 32-bit Vista SP2 (v6.0.6002.19623) machine [i.e., not the kernelbase.dll you see on your 64-bit Win 8.1 machine).  My latest error log from 18-Sep-2017 is attached.

MB v3_2_2 mbamtray_exe Error Event ID 1000 18 Sep 2017.txt

Every time one of these APPCRASH errors occur a dump file is generated in my hidden folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps.  I posted a few of  those dump files for the Malwarebytes software engineers in my own thread MB v3.2.2 - SystemTray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.10.1.10 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * MB Premium v3.2.2.2018-1.0.188
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

2 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi MadDemon64:

I see the same Event ID 1000 errors for mbamtray.exe when the MB icon fails to load in the system tray at boot-up, except that the faulting module is kernel32.dll on my 32-bit Vista SP2 (v6.0.6002.19623) machine [i.e., not the kernelbase.dll you see on your 64-bit Win 8.1 machine).  My latest error log from 18-Sep-2017 is attached.

MB v3_2_2 mbamtray_exe Error Event ID 1000 18 Sep 2017.txt

Every time one of these APPCRASH errors occur a dump file is generated in my hidden folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps.  I posted a few of  those dump files for the Malwarebytes software engineers in my own thread MB v3.2.2 - SystemTray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.10.1.10 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * MB Premium v3.2.2.2018-1.0.188

Thanks for the suggestions.  Here are my dump files.

mbamtray.exe.4464.dmp

mbamtray.exe.5100.dmp

mbamtray.exe.3908.dmp

mbamtray.exe.4404.dmp

So, I noticed something else while looking through my error logs.  I ran ADWCleaner today, but it wasn't the latest version, so I downloaded the new version, but when I ran it, it crashed and kernelbase.dll was the faulting module, but when I ran ADWCleaner again it worked just fine. This is odd because the old version ran fine without a kernalbase.dll problem.  I looked through the rest of the logs and found that all of my Malwarebytes errors, including Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes Tray, ADWCleaner, and even the Malwarebytes 3 setup downloadable (versions 3.1.2.1733 and 3.2.2.2018) are caused by Kernelbase.dll.  The only times kernelbase.dll ever caused non-Malwarebytes probram error was two WerFault errors, two Dragon Gaming Center errors, and one Excel error, but those haven't happened in a long time and aren't regular problems like the Malwarebytes Tray error.

Not sure if this helps, but just thought I would mention it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that the errors get worse.  Now it's almost always WerFault errors whenever I get a Mbamtray error.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes, but that only fixed the problem for a few days.  And by the look of things, more and more people are suffering from the same problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try it, but first I would like to try to get some feedback on this suggestion from the mods here. It's not that I don't trust you or anything, I just want to see if they agree with your solution.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed quote - and split previous post to his own topic

It looks like these dumps are only minidumps, which unfortunately doesn't have all the information we need. Can you please try the steps below to get some more detailed crash dumps?

1. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings -> Protection
  2. Disable the Self Protection option
  3. Download the following Procdump.zip file: Procdump.zip
  4. Right click on procdump.zip and then choose properties
  5. In the window that pops up, click the unblock button near the bottom and then click ok
  6. Extract procdump.zip.
  7. Open the folder where the files were extracted
  8. Right click 7 - mbamtray_crash.bat and select Run as administrator.
    • If you did the steps correctly you should see a black screen
  9. Do whatever is necessary to cause the crash
  10. Once the crash happens, the black window should go away and a new file should be found in the folder
  11. Right click the DMP file and choose Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
  12. Reply with the dump file

18 minutes ago, dcollins said:

It looks like these dumps are only minidumps, which unfortunately doesn't have all the information we need. Can you please try the steps below to get some more detailed crash dumps?

1. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings -> Protection
  2. Disable the Self Protection option
  3. Download the following Procdump.zip file: Procdump.zip
  4. Right click on procdump.zip and then choose properties
  5. In the window that pops up, click the unblock button near the bottom and then click ok
  6. Extract procdump.zip.
  7. Open the folder where the files were extracted
  8. Right click 7 - mbamtray_crash.bat and select Run as administrator.
    • If you did the steps correctly you should see a black screen
  9. Do whatever is necessary to cause the crash
  10. Once the crash happens, the black window should go away and a new file should be found in the folder
  11. Right click the DMP file and choose Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
  12. Reply with the dump file

Mbamtray only occasionally crashes when I start up my computer; sometimes the tray comes up without any problem.  Nothing I do aside from turning the computer on from an off state crashes the tray.  Can I activate the  program, turn off my computer, and turn it on again with the crash program running?  If not, I don't think I'll be able to get the files you want.