anything downloaded Contained a virus ad was deleted

• Root Admin

Hello @guyb65 and :welcome:

Is this a business computer? It appears to be running policies that could be set by an administrator to not allow downloads.

You also have a more pressing issue. It would appear you have a hard drive going bad

System errors:
=============
Error: (08/29/2017 07:41:57 AM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk3\DR3, has a bad block.

I see a few things but removing may not correct your issues. If it's a business computer your IT Support Department should be consulted.

Thank you

Ron

• Root Admin

The reason I mention the bad block is hard drives normally fill a given block with known bad sectors and never shows the users. When it actually starts showing in the Event Logs, that's typically not a good thing. Of course it could continue like that for years, but it could also die tomorrow and the computer not start. Having good backups is very important. Best would be to replace the drive and not risk the loss. Drives are pretty cheap these days.  About $70 or so for a 2TB drive.

Anyways... as I said, I don't see anything obvious in the logs indicating an infection. A few things of junk maybe that I probably wouldn't run on my own computer, but nothing serious.

Let me have you scan with another antivirus program though just to make sure.

Please download and run the following tool to remove any found threats

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Let me know if it finds anything or not.

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron

Thanks for the continuing support and feedback. I am aware of the bad drive but it is not my OS so not fixed yet until funds allow.

Scanned again with Kaspersky but had to launch from Chrome as still unable to download with MS Edge.

Default settings run and found nothing. Included system drive in scan, as was not included by default and ran again, found freemake video converter but otherwise clean.

This is the link that I had followed as it described my symptoms but did not fix it. https://malwaretips.com/blogs/file-contained-a-virus-and-was-deleted-removal

Rgds 

GuyB

• Root Admin

Please review the following topics.

I can't download anything from any website since windows update

This post, indicates that McAfee is possibly at fault. I too believe that McAfee could be causing issues. I would recommend at least temporarily uninstalling McAfee and see if that corrects the issue.
edge browser only: "<dl-file> contains a virus and has been deleted" ZeroAccess rootkit

You can see the post here, where an uninstall and reinstall with some exclusions setup corrected some other odd issues with McAfee
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/209235-mwbytes-will-not-allow-me-to-switch-rootkit-scan-on/

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Typo correction

• Root Admin

I'm not really sure. McAfee has a long history of corruption and other issues I've seen over the years. Often a reinstall will correct most issues, but some users end up switching products after their ordeal.

As long as all is working okay again that's what counts in the long run.

You could go with Malwarebytes as you have and use the built-in antivirus for Windows 10. It is actually a pretty decent product on Windows 10 - it's not the same product it is/was on Windows 7

I'll go ahead though and close your topic then since you're back in business. If you do need anything else though please let us know.

Take care

Ron

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!