MBAM 3.1.2.1733 Won't Open At Times

Update - After having all the same problems again yesterday I  did the clean and re-install AGAIN ( 5th time since 3. came out ) yesterday and things worked again. This morning  when I booted up it WAS ARNOLD AGAIN ( I'm BAAAACCK to NOT turning on again ) . I'll try the next ( and easiest)  method NIKHILS  suggested since  it doesn't appear  this will ever be fixed correctly.

3.2 is supposed to fix these errors for future upgrades.

Stability/issues fixed

• Fixed numerous problems that could occur when upgrading from earlier versions to Malwarebytes 3
  • Fixed an issue where updates would fail if attempted right after PC comes out of sleep
  • Fixed an issue where the user interface could become non-responsive if mapped drives were present
  • Fixed several issues that could lead to an ‘Unable to connect the service’ message
  • Improved overall stability of drivers
  • Addressed several translation issues
  • Fixed several crashes and hangs related to the service and tray
  • Addressed many other miscellaneous defects and user interface improvements

The problem, documented in numerous posts is that since 3.1 every time I've downloaded and installed an upgrade (3 times now I think) it hasn't worked.  I get the error about being unable to connect service.  I then have to run mbclean to completely remove MB before I can install the upgrade.  This causes all my settings to be lost.  I don't want to go through this again if installing 3.2 over 3.1.2 doesn't work for me.  

Are you saying that mbclean no longer removes all settings so that they will be there after running mbclean and then installing MB 3.2?

Bill

1 minute ago, BillH99999 said:

Are you saying that mbclean no longer removes all settings so that they will be there after running mbclean and then installing MB 3.2?

NO, I DID NOT.  Running the Mb # installer over your current install will save settings. 

3 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

every time I've downloaded and installed an upgrade (3 times now I think) it hasn't worked.  I get the error about being unable to connect service.

18 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I'd rather just wait till I get it automatically.

The above will happen the same if it is going to no matter if you over install now or upgrade when it's offered, You are still installing over the top even with the in program upgrade.

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The above will happen the same if it is going to no matter if you over install now or upgrade when it's offered, You are still installing over the top even with the in program upgrade.

Not true.  Over-installing has failed three times for me.  Each time I had to run mbclean to completely git rid of MB before it would work.  My upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 was an automatic update and it worked fine, no problems.  Sorry, but this time you are wrong.  I don't know why the automatic update works and the manual does not, but it does.

Take a look at some of my other posts.  I worked on this with several staff and sent them all the logs they requested and they were not able to figure out what the problem is.

Bill

@Porthos

I stand corrected.  I looked back at my other post and found that downloading and over-installing "version" upgrades had failed 4 times for me, several beta upgrades of 3.0 failed as did going from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 as did 3.1.1 to 3.1.2.  What had worked was an automatic component upgrade.  So all "version" upgrades since 3.0 have failed for me.  I apologize for saying you were wrong.

Bill 

It sounds like there's a couple different issues being discussed here, so let me try to break out each response accordingly:

@pmcjr for your issue of MB3 not opening when you click the icon until you restart, can you please try the following:

1. Double click the MB3 icon and verify it doesn't open
  2. Open Task Manager and under the Details or Processes tab, see if mbam.exe is running and let us know
  3. Run mb-check from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_check

Getting an mb-check right as the issue is occurring should hopefully give us some idea of what's happening in the moment

The unable to connect to service error after an upgrade can happen for a multitude of reasons, and it's hard to narrow down exactly what causes on each machine (if we could, we could solve it :)) The only thing we can ask for at this point is an mb-check log to try and figure out what happened during the upgrade process.

mb-clean will download the latest available installer and run it, just as though you downloaded it from a browser to install.

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

The unable to connect to service error after an upgrade can happen for a multitude of reasons, and it's hard to narrow down exactly what causes on each machine (if we could, we could solve it :)) The only thing we can ask for at this point is an mb-check log to try and figure out what happened during the upgrade process.

mb-clean will download the latest available installer and run it, just as though you downloaded it from a browser to install.

@dcollins,

As I mentioned in the following thread, I had a lot of problems and supplied a lot of logs for the last 4 "version" upgrades.  However, I downloaded and installed 3.2.2 and it worked fine.  No error message.

Thanks,
Bill