disable autorenew on subscription

Hi, i discovered recently in my new Malwarebytes account that I had 2 subscriptions. one is a lifetime subscription, and one more recent with auto-Renewal active (this one will end in Oct).

at some point, long ago, I lost my old lifetime subscription key but that time i discovered you didn't use those type of subscriptions anymore so I though that it would't work anymore... seems I was wrong and its still active and it works in MB3.

obviously I will use the lifetime subscription so, how do I cancel the auto-Renewal feature?

Thanks

Edited by Blackraider

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/24/2017 at 11:46 PM, nikhils said:

I think if you have access to Malwarebytes account (https://my.malwarebytes.com/en/login) you can cancel the auto renewal feature.

I have access to my account but there appears to be no obvious and clear way to cancel auto renew. When I raised this as a ticket question I was told that I needed to ask 'Cleverbridge' the company that deals with the billing. This is wholly inadequate. The account offers many facilities to change the billing but not, it appears the ability to cancel auto renew. I find this very suspicious and I unless this is provide, I will not be using Malwarebytes again.

1 minute ago, Andy555 said:

I find this very suspicious and I unless this is provide, I will not be using Malwarebytes again.

If you need help with any of the following:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our eCommerce partner Cleverbridge Support at http://www.cleverbridge.com/?scope=cuseco&progress=customersupport  to get help.

• 2 months later...

From my post in another section: How do I cancel auto renewal of Malwarebytes? I was promised upon installation that I could easily cancel auto renewal through My account Link in Malwarebytes Program. Now this seems to not be the case. I don't know whether this is accidental or by design but if not corrected this seems like a deceptive business practice. i will pursue action with my bank if necessary to ensure no payments in the future. I won't mind renewing my subscription, (providing these discrepancies are corrected). but at a time of my choosing not automatically! As it turns out I just found the info needed. I had to cancel through avangate. What a pain in the ass! I just spent an hour finding this information!

failure to communicate-old1.mp3

1 minute ago, NunyaFarkinBizness said:

I had to cancel through avangate.

They are the people to talk to.(as you found out) They are the ones who bill you.  Malwarebytes like many programs is a subscription service. Automatic payments are the default. 

Sorry, you had to experience this issue. I totally understand your displeasure and frustration. 

On 11/15/2017 at 12:41 PM, Porthos said:

If you need help with any of the following:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our eCommerce partner Cleverbridge Support at http://www.cleverbridge.com/?scope=cuseco&progress=customersupport  to get help.

This one helped. Thank you.

What really sucks is that Malwarebytes Support told me the wrong  people to contact. The answer comes after a series of googling only to find incorrect information and a series of phone calls for something that was touted as easily done through account settings, which in fact, is also false. The answer is not Cleverbridge  as told to me by Malwarebytes Support. but Avangate.  at (678) 666-2660 in North America , +31 20 890 8080  in Western Europe, and +40 31 710 1610  in Eastern Europe. This was accurate as of 1/23/2018. Malwarebytes Support should know this and update their information. I am not a paid support technician but maybe I should be.Hopefully my post, even as grumpy as I can be, will also inform Malwarebytes users with this issue properly.

BTW Autorenewal as default is lame!

Edited by NunyaFarkinBizness

1 hour ago, NunyaFarkinBizness said:

The answer is not Cleverbridge  as told to me by Malwarebytes Support. but Avangate. 

Sorry you were misled, Most of the sales is Cleverbridge. But you are correct it would be nice if the info was updated for those who ere charged and billed Avangate.

1 hour ago, NunyaFarkinBizness said:

BTW Auto renewal as default is lame!

It is lame but it is the default for ALL company's that have subscription products.Many people buy a boxed retail version of software each year because of that very thing.

• 4 months later...

On 8/25/2017 at 8:46 AM, nikhils said:

I think if you have access to Malwarebytes account (https://my.malwarebytes.com/en/login) you can cancel the auto renewal feature.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:40 AM, STOPASKINGMETOUPDATE said:

I also couldn't find an option to turn auto renew off but was able to cancel it through Paypal. @Blackraider if you've paid with Paypal, you can cancel the billing agreement. On the transaction page click 'View Billing Agreement Details' and there will be an option to cancel the authorization to charge your account.

There is no way to cancel your subscription through my account you sneaky bastards!! Thanks to the comment above I just went and cancelled through paypal. Will never use malwarebytes again and will never recommend!!! Goodbye.  

• 1 month later...

You can disable the auto renewal, but as has been pointed out, you have to do it via Avangate.

The process:-

1        find your order number. (not the serial number, - the order number which is an 8 digit number) as you may need it to register.

2.         If you did not register an account with avangate when you purchased, then register

here:-   https://www.avangate.com/login/

3.     Log in by selecting "software buyer" where it says `select your account type` in the popup/square on the right of the screen.

and entering the password and email you just registered under.

5.    Another screen will open - it should read `2CO Customer area`. where it says `already have an account` click the `login now` button. (you can also register     your order number here to link  your account with your orders)

6.        Enter your email and password again. and log in.

7.         Find the malwarebytes entry and click `view order details`

8        You should see a blue highlighted link reading `product history`, click that.

9        In the middle under subscription status, there is a link to disable auto renewal, click it and confirm it.

10.     Log out, job done.

To be honest it puzzles me why companies insist on doing this sort of thing as its self defeating.  People aren`t daft and pick up quickly on when a company trys such tactics to get you to keep buying. 

Put bluntly, it pisses them off.  (as seen above coff, coff...),  Using the excuse, "Well everybody else does it" just doesn`t wash..

A happy customer will come back... whereas a disgruntled customer is unlikely to use your service again, (and it doesn`t take a psychologist to understand that..).

Which is a shame, as malwarebytes IS a good program.

Be happy :)

Edited by demotricus

Actually, it depends on which of the 3 e-commerce vendors handled the transaction/subscription (Avangate, Cleverbridge or the more recently added 2checkout; contact info for the current 2 handling online sales/subscriptions can be found here) and while I honestly agree that auto-renewal is a bad idea (I was against it from the start back when I was a Malwarebytes employee), I do see the flip side of the issue that for a long time many customers were complaining that they had to keep remembering to renew their licenses each year or to receive constant nags about it when they just wanted it to happen automatically, much as they are now used to with many of their bills for utilities and other services these days (I myself have every bill that I can automatically drafted from my account so I don't have to worry about remembering to pay it, don't have to write any checks or buy any stamps, and no longer have to worry about entering credit card or bank account info on their sites every time I wish to pay my bills).

That said, I'd still prefer it to be an option at time of purchase as some vendors have it so that customers may opt-out of it up front if they wish rather than having to purchase then contact the vendor their transaction was processed through to cancel it, but at least there is still the option of buying the boxed retail version which is only valid for 1 year with no auto-renewal, leaving it up to the customer to decide whether or not to renew and how to pay and where to buy from if they do.

i figured out how to do it with cleverbridge you need the original confrimration email or get them to re-send it(cant remember how) then save it as a pdf it should then open in a browser (you can chose witch one) then you click on view all details for this order then manage your subscription little annoying but pretty easy

Edited by Arsenal123

• tetonbob changed the title to disable autorenew on subscription

Malwarebytes really need to get their act together with this auto-renewal nonsense, the customer is presented with a bewildering array of hurdles if he wishes to take control of his own account and payments. First we find out we can`t change the setting from our Malwarebytes CP and must contact the 3rd party vendor that handled the transaction, (despite purchasing through malwarebytes own website), and of which there are at least three different vendors now, necessitating a search to find out who handled your transaction., then we have to open an account with them to access a different CP in order to change the setting, and even then it seems its not enough....
I did all the above, (hence my first post),  yet looking at my Mawarebytes account portal, there is STILL an obstinate declaration that my auto-renewal is "Enabled" displaying there.

Now I can understand that some people would like the auto-renewal, but would argue that the vast majority would like some way to disable it easily or at the very least... be given the choice of having it or not having it when they purchase their subscription. It all leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.

Found a solution through a video on how to cancel subscription if cleverbridge handled your purchased.
Link removed since license key was visible in the video

And this post explains how to cancel through the message from your purchase in your email (cleverbridge): Link.

Edited by dcollins
Removed visible license key

• 5 months later...

Found a solution after a bit of googleing, go into the email you got as order confirmation from cleverbridge/malwarebytes, should have your reference number as the subject, and then scroll down past all the install instructions, then there's a section with "tech support," "order support," and "manage subscription" with a link where you can "manage your subscription for 'malware bytes 3 premium.'" Just click that link, and then you can cancel it!

Just wish this option were under the my account page within malwarebytes, but oh well. Its not that much of a hassle, just have to make sure you don't delete your order email!

• 2 months later...

There is no justification for what is happening here. If it is as simple as pushing a button to purchase the service you provide, it should be as simple as pushing a button to cancel that service. I want to cancel my subscription. I want to spend 30 seconds cancelling it. I don't want to spend half an hour to an hour searching forums and reading lengthy posts from pissed off customers, angry and confused that they can't just simply CANCEL the service that they have purchased. This feature, from what I've seen, has been in place for well over a year and I seriously hope someone changes it, as it is completely nonsensical. 

Edited by AlexSmith
Removed expletive phrase.