Icon always in menu bar?

Hi all, I installed yesterday malwarebytes on my macbook air, performed a full scan and while I'm deciding if to let it run always or when I suppose I need it, I would like to be able to close it fully. I mean, if I close the program, either form the taskbar or from the menu bar, the program icon disappear from the task bar but the little icon is always present on the menu bar. How can I close it also? I also close real time scan before try to close it

Regards

On a Mac the "taskbar" is known as the "Dock."

Icons in the menu bar are supposed to remain there for as long as you are logged in and do not disappear when an associated app is quit. It's there to facilitate quick access to functionality.

That being said, you can remove it permanently from the menubar in the Malwarebytes for Mac preferences by checking the box to "Hide menu icon"

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 2.01.33 AM.png

• 1 year later...

That's not how it works though. An icon being present up there means the application process is currently running. Normally, when you quit an app, the icon goes away.

Apparently Malewarebytes provides no way to quit the app? That is very intrusive and I will be uninstalling as a result.

It's actually not an app process, it's a totally different set of processes from what the app does. In addition to providing the menu icon and it's associated menu, it also controls all of the real time and scheduled scan and signature update functions. The app is basically a GUI to change settings, display results, remediate findings and conduct manual scans. MWB is not unique in this, there are hundreds of apps that work in this manner.

• Staff
11 hours ago, TelFiRE said:

Apparently Malewarebytes provides no way to quit the app? That is very intrusive and I will be uninstalling as a result.

You can quit the app, but there are processes in the background that continue to run.

However, keep in mind that almost your entire system consists of processes running in the background, and many/most of the third-party programs you use have background processes that either always run or run on a periodic basis. What is your concern here that leads you to call this "intrusive?"

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, reboot said:

every app / service should be able to get turned off.

I don't know how you could possibly believe that in today's world. Open Activity Monitor to see hundreds of background processes running, a good portion of which are application activities. Malwarebytes Agent is almost half way down the list using 0.0 %CPU. If you have turned off all the real time protection, scan & protection update schedules and hide the application  icon, then it's idle, not doing anything but listening for you to tell it to do something.

Give me a break! Stop making excuses! there is absolutely NO good reason for a process to be running if it is not doing anything! there is NO way in hell I would ever run an app like this. It is intrusive and absurd for you to even suggest it to be halfway reasonable. MWB has been completely uninstalled.

I’ll give you two quick examples of AV apps that include menubar icons that persist when the app is not running, ClamXAV and Sophos Home, and their icon cannot be hidden the way it can with Malwarebytes. 

I have probably a dozen other apps that are not running and have persistent menubar icons and as i said 100s of others that run background processes.

And i never said that process wasn’t doing anything, it most certainly is.

13 hours ago, TelFiRE said:

The problem is the inability to disable the background process!

So please make it clear why this is a "problem"? Same question that @treed, the developer asked in Post #8.

• Staff
On 8/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, TelFiRE said:

Other apps do not do this! STIP ACTING LIKE IT’S NORMAL! It’s not normal and it’s not okay.

I would suggest that, unless you're a very atypical case, you have apps that do have background processes running, but you simply aren't aware of it because they're not showing menu bar icons or other such indicators.

Many apps have processes that run periodically in the background to check for updates (like Malwarebytes' background process does) or do other kinds of tasks. I'm running many of them right now. Some examples:

• 1Password
  • Carbon Copy Cloner
  • Steam
  • Microsoft Office
  • Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc
  • any Google software (including Chrome)
  • any Adobe software
  • any printer drivers
  • VPN software

This is far from an exhaustive list. Even App Store apps have the capability these days to run processes automatically in the background at login.

I would ask again: what specifically is the problem you're having that you believe quitting any Malwarebytes background processes will solve? Are you seeing performance issues, and if so have you traced those issues to such a process? If so, I'd like to have more information.

You really, really seem to miss the point here. With those applications, I can simply uncheck a box that says "start at login" and they don't have any processes running. The problem is the complete lack of any way whatsoever to disable this functionality.

This is not about performance this is about having control over my own system, although obviously performance becomes a serious issue if you are running an older machine and every application thinks it has the right to run even when it's not running. That's a completely unacceptable practice. Nothing you can say will convince me otherwise, or convince me to reinstall an application that behaves that way. It has no place on my system, or in the world IMO.

@TelFiRE doesn't really care about the icon, he wants to be able to disable the Malwarebytes Agent that runs in the background accomplishing several functions, most of which can be disabled. The process uses an unmeasurable amount of CPU time and only 5MB of compressed RAM. 

3 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

I understand exactly what he wants and it’s been explained over and over again.  Then he comes back several days later and stirs the pot again.  If it’s removed as he has said, then wtf does he want to keep stirring up *#$! 

Just let the thread read die already

As Trumph would say.........lock her up (this topic that is)........lol