Cannot start MB Free Home Version

MB Home Free stopped working on my W10 64-bit Dell desktop suddenly some weeks ago. If I click Start/Malwarebytes, nothing happens. If I try to start using the desktop icon, nothing happens. Not sure what version I have/had if it upgraded on its own but a laptop still has the old version 2 (probably 32-bit) and that is what the desktop used to have. No idea what version 3 looks like as I have yet to “see” it.

I have run Start/Malwarebytes/Uninstall MB successfully and I restarted the PC. It seemed to clean (delete) things. To confirm, I clicked Start and looked for Malwarebytes; it was no longer listed. My desktop icon is gone too.

After that, I downloaded MB Cleaner Program from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean. I try to open it but, it gives me an unexpected window titled Launch Application, which says “this link needs to be opened with an application”. Below that, it says “Send to:” and, below that, it lists the word “file”. Below that, it says ‘Choose other Application” and has a “Choose” Button. I cancel out of there since I am not sure what to do.

At this point, I assume MB is gone and get MB Home Free from the MB website in https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

The installation process seems to complete. I finally click Install and click Finish. Nothing happens after I click Finish other than the window goes away... but I notice that my desktop has a MB icon now. I double click it and nothing happens. I have a dangling window left that is visible if I am doing clicking with Alt-Tab. If I try to select it and view it, nothing happens but it has a title that reads “Malwarebytes Tray Applic”. If I click Start, I see Malwarebytes listed. Has four tasks listed under "Malwarebytes" but I get no windows when I click on "Check for updates" or "Start a threat scan". I wait a while just in case but nothing is displayed.

New symptom: If I browse your website’s forum pages, I get some temporary MB window (on the lower left corner of the screen) saying that it blocked something from one of your webpages (ads.themediastreet.com) so MB seems to be doing something. I just cannot get it to display the MB "main" window to start a scan like I did before.

TIA, Luis

Edited by hydra_fan

20 minutes ago, Droidify said:

There is a common thread here and a forum admin needs to be linking these. I reported the same problem here 

We prefer separate threads to resolve issues as all PCs are unique. In fact, we will split threads to assure best communication.

Just saw your comments. Thanks. I will review them and research how to do safe mode in W10. I "stopped by" to post/say that I received a MB window on the lower left hand corner of the screen saying something like a scan had been completed and to click a button to see the results. As usual, the window went away and nothing was displayed. It was shocking that it would be scanning since I have yet to see any other MB 3 windows. The MB Tray Applic window shows up if I am doing Alt-Tab's but selecting it does not display it. I think I may have already said this before.

Edited:

By the way, if someone has better step by step instructions on how to do safe mode, please let me know. I just read the info in the link below and it is confusing and seems to be asking to restart like three times which made no sense.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Edited by hydra_fan

6 hours ago, hydra_fan said:

By the way, if someone has better step by step instructions on how to do safe mode, please let me know.

you can do it from a command prompt:

Search for cmd.exe and right click on it and choose Run as administrator
Type the below command as it appears exactly and press enter (this will boot you to safe mode with networking)

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

You will get a message that says The operation completed successfully
Reboot the computer

When done working in safe mode you will have repeat the sets but instead you will type the below in the command window

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

You will get a message that says The operation completed successfully
Reboot the computer

Hi hydra_fan,

We'd like to take a closer look at exactly what's going on. Please could you download and run the following diagnostic tool and attach the generated logs in your reply.

Please attempt to run the tool from Normal Mode first. If you're unable to do so, please stop and let me know.

xlK5Hdb.png Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x32) or Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Note: Download and run the version compatible with your system (32 or 64-bit). Download both if you're unsure; only one will run.
  • Right-click FRST.exe or FRST64.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the program.
  • Click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Ensure the Addition.txt box is checked.
  • Click the Scan button and let the program run.
  • Upon completion, click OK, then OK on the Addition.txt pop up screen.
  • Two logs (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) will now be open on your Desktop. Please attach both log to your reply.

Hey, guys. There seems to be something wrong with the links for x32 and x64 (or my PC). When I click on either, I get another webpage displayed (bleeping something). For a second. Can’t hardly make out the URL. And then the internet browser closes. Happened with all of them. I tried with Firefox (my default browser), IE and Edge. It feels like I am in mudsville.  ;o(

Edited by hydra_fan

Yes that is correct (Bleepingcomputer.com is a safe site and hosts these tools)  If you are having problems downloading the tool, try downloading it on another computer and copying it to the one having issues.

32bit version should take you to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/dl/81/

64bit version should take you to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/dl/82/

Ok but now how does this grab you: upon returning to my PC, I found it powered off. I manually powered it back 'on' and Malwarebytes is displaying its usual windows now! I ran a scan. It detected three problems and quarantined them. What do I do now? Rebooting was never the problem because I was rebooting a lot when researching why the MB windows would not display so I did it when installing and when uninstalling... and few other times more...

I downloaded the software 64 version and attached the files.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

Edited by hydra_fan

• 1 month later...

Tried but that is way above my capabilities. Not sure what Microsoft was thinking of when it made W8 or W10 so complicated... Sigh....

Note: I now began having the same issues with the laptop PC that I was using to login into Malwarebytes too. Frustrating...  The laptop is not a 64-bit pc though; I thought maybe that had something to do with the problem. Uninstall and re-install did not help with the laptop  problem either. MB never appears to start and never displays a MB window when I click on Malwarebytes via the Start Bar or the desktop's shortcut. Thus, I decided to uninstall it permanently. Thanks anyways.

• 2 weeks later...