Unable to start / connect to service and F-Secure

Hi.  I am getting the same problem as others have reported here, I am getting an 'Unable to Start Service' error about 10 seconds after computer is booted up.  I note that I can still run MB if I right-click the desktop icon and then select 'Run as administrator'.  However, something is clearly not correct.  I have tried using the cleanup tool and re-installing, but with no success.  I attach the log file.  Any assistance appreciated.  Richard

mb-clean-results.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar

@Richard140454 Thanks for posting those logs. Looks like you have F-Secure running on your PC which has a component that can cause this error. All that's needed is some minor settings adjustments in F-secure to get things playing nice with each other. Here is our dedicated support article on how to do that: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1113

If you continue to have issues after that, let us know the details and we can go from there. Thanks!!

Richard,

Please see this article at F-Secure    How do I exclude a file or folder from scanning?

If you could simply just exclude this folder  C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware   that would be a good thing to start with.

The following is a list of Malwarebytes programs which should be placed on an Exclusion list.

This list is specific to Malwarebytes  3.x.

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbamwsc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (64-bit only)
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (32-bit only)

Hi.  Thanks for that,Telos, but this procedure does not seem to apply to the latest version of F-secure.  In my version, there is no 'Application permissions' setting / tab for example .  However, under 'Tools' I do have an icon called 'App and File Control'.  Clicking this and the 'Excluded' tab allows you to add files or folders to those items not scanned.  I have added Malwarebytes to the list and all now seems well.

P.S.  I have now found the relevant section in the Help area on F-secure.  I attach it for your reference.

All seems to be well now, thanks Maurice and Telos.

By the way; in your opinion, is it necessary or advisable to run F-secure (or similar) alongside Malwarebytes? Or does MB do all that FS does?

F-secure screenshot3.jpg

F-secure screenshot4.jpg

59946405cc3f5_F-securescreenshot6.jpg.889fa25705294129a2efe69b855fafa0.jpg

F-secure screenshot5.jpg

Edited by Richard140454
Wrong file attached

Thank you for that set of information, Richard.

As to your question, all you need is Malwarebytes 3 Premium.

Our Malwarebytes 3  Premium  includes multiple type of protections all in one single program.
Anti-malware + anti-exploit + anti-ransomware + web protection. Your pc will do well with just our program. Ours is new technology & is a antivirus replacement.

Thanks for your reply, Maurice.

I have MB installed on two Windows PCs under the same license.  One of them (a desktop) has MB Premium 3, whereas my laptop has MB Home Premium 2.  

Could you tell me how to upgrade the v2 on the laptop to v3?

Many thanks.

Edited by Richard140454

1 hour ago, Richard140454 said:

Could you tell me how to upgrade the v2 on the laptop to v3?

Unless you have a multi-seat license, you may only have one PC per license. You need to purchase a second license. Until then you should deactivate one or the other of your installations to the "free" status.

Edited by Telos