Is MalwareBytes for Mac enough ?

Hi,

I currently have a valid license for malwarebytes for mac 3.0 and wanted to know if just having malwarebytes for mac 3.0 premium is enough to take care of all the security needs of a mac, or should i look for other antivirus to complement ?

Does malwarebytes protect against phishing, malware url links and infected webpages or is it just an antivirus for mac , does it also include a firewall component?

• 4 weeks later...

You should not use both Sophos "On-Access" and Malwarebytes "Real-Time Protection" at the same time as they will undoubtedly conflict while attempting to scan the same files.

uBlock will pretty much stop all malvertising and ads, but won't detect other types of web page infection or phishing/malware url links. Don't recall offhand whether Firefox provides any of that or not. Both Safari and Chrome use Google SafeBrowsing to help with those.

3 hours ago, alvarnell said:

You should not use both Sophos "On-Access" and Malwarebytes "Real-Time Protection" at the same time as they will undoubtedly conflict while attempting to scan the same files.

uBlock will pretty much stop all malvertising and ads, but won't detect other types of web page infection or phishing/malware url links. Don't recall offhand whether Firefox provides any of that or not. Both Safari and Chrome use Google SafeBrowsing to help with those.

Hi , Alvarnell

I haven`t noticed any conflict between these two  , but i hear your advice

@John10 Hi mate,

Use bitdefender for mac with malwarebytes .

Bitdefender uses the top notch technology and has outpass any other antivirus in the available industry be it for windows or mac product.

Download bitdefender for mac free - https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/virus-scanner-for-mac.html

Use it with malwarebytes, and you will never have to worry again.

Edited by Guest

@malwreck Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I am actually using bitdefender for mac, and have used malwarebytes license for another pc instead as to avoid using more than one antivirus on the mac.

While Bitdefender for Mac seems to be very good, it does not have any firewall component as other mac antivirus solutions have.

In regards to Windows however, which I also use Bitdefender, although it is a very good antivirus, it has caused issues on more than one time on my pc (I am certain of it, because once i disabled or uninstalled it, everything was working ok). I will problably end up using webroot for pc since I have never had any issues with that antivirus and it is really powerful to detect malware. I continue to use bitdefender since the license is still valid for a while.

On 9/9/2017 at 4:16 AM, Davida2b said:

Hello , John10 ,

I use Sophos / Ublock origin as well as malwarebytes premium , with the Firefox browser , which pretty much is enough protection for me .

No conflicts or slowness !

my Sophos Home for Mac is great; no performance impact and runs along Malwarebytes perfectly

sorry to hear that you had issues, perhaps you had the legacy version?

Edited by sammy1738

• 5 months later...

On 8/17/2017 at 9:16 AM, treed said:

Malwarebytes for Mac does not, at this time, include any kind of phishing protection, web protection or firewall. It is purely an anti-malware engine (though it does detect things like adware and potentially unwanted programs, aka PUPs, as well as malware).

It appears some combination of MalwareBytes and an anti-virus may be maximal protection.

I currently use MalwareBytes Premium and McAfee anti-virus provided by my employer (managed by the central IT Dept).  My experience has been that MalwareBytes finds adware, redirectors and such that McAfee is blissfully unaware of.  

I am trying to figure out a good combination and I see some recommendations in the comments above.  Can anyone point me to good articles on the web that discusss this question?

I don't think you will get any type of recommendation from the MalwareBytes staff regarding competing products and I don't feel comfortable doing so either.

Regarding comparative reviews, I have problems with all of the ones I've found. Mostly, they are incomplete and don't even include some of the more popular software, but there are systemic problems involved with their testing techniques, as well.

I don't believe any of the results from testers that accept advertising or charge the vendor for the right to be tested. I'm never confident that their testing database include current threats and that it has been setup in a realistic environment. For instance, if they simply download a bunch of samples into a folder without actually installing the sample into the locations where they are commonly found, many scanners will never detect them as infected.

In years past there were attempts by a couple of independent folks that I know, to run fair tests, but both stopped, finding it way to difficult to do so on a level playing field with a fair and complete sample database. Both have moved on to work for Anti-Malware firms now.

Even the enterprise IT admins I have spoken with can't seem to agree on a current best solution.

Alvarnell,

Thank you for giving me the benefit of your clearly intense interest and effort on this topic.  I agree that any reciprocal benefits between vendors and testing organizations should disqualify the evaluation and that testing must be realistic.

It is interesting that the independent folks and the IT Admins found no easy answers either.

I suspect the problem of malware, generically, is a constantly moving target, adrift on the undercurrents of the ungovernable internet, the surface of which is buffeted by the winds of marketing.

Hello , again ,

3 minutes ago, JMills said:

I suspect the problem of malware, generically, is a constantly moving target, adrift on the undercurrents of the ungovernable internet, the surface of which is buffeted by the winds of marketing.

well said , i could not agree more

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
5 hours ago, tonyx said:

I'm currently running malware bytes on my Mac but due to a brain explosion, I deleted the App in my security and privacy settings.

I'm not sure I understand. Can you provide more details about exactly where you deleted the application from in Security & Privacy?

• Staff

If you are referring to the Accessibility list in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy (shown below), Malwarebytes for Mac should not normally appear on that list. It would have to have been manually added to that list somehow. You can safely remove it from that list.

5abbfafed3963_ScreenShot2018-03-28at4_27_06PM.thumb.png.f3f6fddcadf04a8bba5df285d8c78941.png

3 hours ago, treed said:

If you are referring to the Accessibility list in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy (shown below), Malwarebytes for Mac should not normally appear on that list. It would have to have been manually added to that list somehow. You can safely remove it from that list.

5abbfafed3963_ScreenShot2018-03-28at4_27_06PM.thumb.png.f3f6fddcadf04a8bba5df285d8c78941.png

That's great, thank you.

Since using malwarebytes premium from the start , i often wondered if real time protection actually did do what it said .

I accidently downloaded ( should no better ) MacRemover whist trying to remove Onyx .

Real time protection kicked ! and easy enough to remove afterwards .

So , yes Malwarebytes and common sense is all i recommend for mac users