Home Antivirus 2010

First off thanks for this forum to allow us to get help with these sorts of things...

So I seem to have acquired "Home Antivirus 2010"

I tired running my registered version of malwarebytes... the basic scan begins and after 10-15 seconds, it closes out and nothing...

when i try to open malwarebytes again it gives me an error and wont open.

I have tried uninstalling malwarebytes, reinstalling and pretty much go through the same thing as described above.

I have tried running hijackthis... once again this program will not run...

I have tried foloowing the instructions to do rootrepeal... this software will not run properly either?!?!

I am not any kind of computer wizard but I can follow instructions... Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thank you again ;) ,

Drew

Hi Drew, welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Download RootRepeal:

http://rootrepeal.googlepages.com/RootRepeal.zip

• Extract the archive to a folder you create such as C:\RootRepeal
  • Double-click RootRepeal.exe to launch the program (Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator).
  • Click the "File" tab (located at the bottom of the RootRepeal screen)
  • Click the "Scan" button
  • In the popup dialog, check the drives to be scanned - making sure to check your primary operating system drive - normally C:
  • Click OK and the file scan will begin
  • When the scan is done, there will be files listed, but most if not all of them will be legitimate
  • Click the "Save Report" Button
  • Save the log file to your Documents folder
  • Post the content of the RootRepeal file scan log in your next reply.

ok boys, please dont pirate my thread! :)

ok so i was able to run rootrepeal...

heres the report... seems kinda short right?

again thank you for any help with my issue

Big up :):):) SpySentinel for taking an interest in this!!!

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009

==================================================

Scan Start Time: 2009/08/04 23:03

Program Version: Version 1.3.3.0

Windows Version: Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3

==================================================

Hidden/Locked Files

-------------------

Path: C:\hiberfil.sys

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\netlogon.dll

Path: c:\windows\temp\mcmsc_0ycvelyjwpi040l

Path: c:\windows\temp\mcafee_gnamfdyizzme7xm

Everyone else please start a new topic.

Hi drewberkeley,

You're welcome.

Please download ComboFix from

Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**

1. If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Tools->Options->Main tab
    • Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".

[*]During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

CF_download_FF.gif

CF_download_rename.gif

[*]It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.

[*]Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.

[*]Close any open browsers.

[*]Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• Close any open browsers.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
  • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

[*]Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.

[*]When finished, it will produce a report for you.

[*]Please post the "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" for further review.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

I tried running the Combo-Fix...

It would open, and run... a small graphic showed up with green bars filling up and once it was full it would stall a bit, then nothing...

i am still able to use firefox, internet explorer with some success, itunes, etc... its just blocking any of my spyware protection... at this point i am exceeding my understanding/capabilities of what my machine is doing and what im gonna need to fix it...

Last night i wiped the C and reinstalled XP... fortunately no data was lost.

Again, many many thanks to SpySentinel this place is truly a wonderful resource and thank you for sharing your time and expertise in helping others!!!

And last but not least, I want to thank my faithful followers jhosk and Allchaos et all, this would not have been possible without you...

please do not forget your dreams, as i may not have succeeded in fighting this g.. d... virus, that does not mean you cannot attain success!