Infection Pop-Up in System Tray

• Staff
With all the confusion and consternation this new IP feature is causing I would suggest we change the wording in the warning balloon to read..............I.P. Warning rather than the current Infection detected. That way there is a distinction between actually having an infection and being warned of a potential one.

Other than that an excellent addition to a product no one should be without!!

Thanx

Greg

This is already being discussed. Translation is a partial issue.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IP popup still occurred. However, now having closed the FireFox Updated tab, it only warns me about:

Infection Detected: 88.214.203.109

Should I just turn off this IP Protection function? :)

thanks,

Dylan

I wouldn't recommend turning it off.

That IP is on a Ukranian range that's known to be a part of a crimeware organization known as the Russian Business Network.

http://hosts-file.net/?s=88.214.203.109

To all: we are working on this. Thank you for your patience. Can you please let me know, if you are having these problems, what version of Windows you are running?

Don't laugh... my gateway is XP home SP3 with Norton 360.

I wouldn't recommend turning it off.

That IP is on a Ukranian range that's known to be a part of a crimeware organization known as the Russian Business Network.

http://hosts-file.net/?s=88.214.203.109

Windows XP SP3 here. MBAM 1.40, database version 568.

What I don't understand about the above I have quoted is I wasn't visiting any sites at all apart from the afore-mentioned google.com and the Firefox Updated tab??

Issue seems to have gone away now, although I did temporarily disable the IP Protection as it got too annoying.

cheers,

Dylan

Hi Steve,

If I have nothing else running except Firefox, this IP issue STILL pops up. It was coming up with just the basic google.com homepage open, with no sponsored ads on it, before I do a search or anything.

It is also independent of whatever sites I am on or viewing, I changed my home page from Google to Yahoo, same thing. Right now as I am on Malwarebytes forum only, it pops up constantly. The current IP is:

Earlier IP warnings were:

and

I have a couple of SEO toolbars, SEOQuake and SEO for Firefox, as well as plugins CoolIris, Java Starter and a TimeStampConverter. I have had all these for ages.

Should I be concerned and post a HiJack this log? If so in this forum or in the regular HiJack this logs forum?

thanks and regards,

Dylan

• Staff
Hi Steve,

If I have nothing else running except Firefox, this IP issue STILL pops up. It was coming up with just the basic google.com homepage open, with no sponsored ads on it, before I do a search or anything.

It is also independent of whatever sites I am on or viewing, I changed my home page from Google to Yahoo, same thing. Right now as I am on Malwarebytes forum only, it pops up constantly. The current IP is:

Earlier IP warnings were:

and

I have a couple of SEO toolbars, SEOQuake and SEO for Firefox, as well as plugins CoolIris, Java Starter and a TimeStampConverter. I have had all these for ages.

Should I be concerned and post a HiJack this log? If so in this forum or in the regular HiJack this logs forum?

thanks and regards,

Dylan

Hi Dylan.

There is no need for concern as your system is not infected nor can it access those sites. Any application accessing the Net can trigger alerts. We're in the process of further tweaking how the IPs are read to cut down on false\positives that some users have experienced.

So no need to post in HijackThis forum.

Hopefully you be passing on this feedback to your development team that they need to look at the wording of these alerts.

I am getting the pop up message showing my computer's ip address as the infected address. Malware and AVG show no infections. It is showing several other addresses as well. My network is a wireless network with a total of three pc's connected.

Any input is appreciated...

Bryan

• Staff
I am getting the pop up message showing my computer's ip address as the infected address. Malware and AVG show no infections. It is showing several other addresses as well. My network is a wireless network with a total of three pc's connected.

Any input is appreciated...

Bryan

If you feel an IP is incorrectly categorized as malicious, feel free to post in our False Positives forum:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=42

To all: we are working on this. Thank you for your patience. Can you please let me know, if you are having these problems, what version of Windows you are running?

These pop ups are driving me crazy. I am running win xp home and am updated to dataversion 2577. Every few seconds or so the ip protection pops upeach time a diffrent IP address rangeing fom 218.1.21.162 to 219.145.57.43 etc. I have ran every scan I know and no virus is ever found.

I love this Program but at this point I am ready to just remove it . Is there any hope of a solution soon ?

Here are the problems that I find with the new "IP Protection"

If you are torrenting (at least I think it is the case) you get popups constantly...every 2-3 mins.

There is no way to disable the popups if I want to leave the module on.

If I uncheck IP protection I can stop the popups for now, but then the module turns back on when I reboot.

Really to solve these, just give me an option to disable the systray notifications, but options to permanently disable the IP protection would be nice as well.

Here are the problems that I find with the new "IP Protection"

If you are torrenting (at least I think it is the case) you get popups constantly...every 2-3 mins.

There is no way to disable the popups if I want to leave the module on.

If I uncheck IP protection I can stop the popups for now, but then the module turns back on when I reboot.

Really to solve these, just give me an option to disable the systray notifications, but options to permanently disable the IP protection would be nice as well.

MeanE i was thinking the same thing i have downloaded torrent from mininova when chinese yellow monkeys IP showed interval 1-2 min (218.* 219.*) Full Scan detects nothing (i have deleted the torrent and the IPs still showing)

If you are using BitTorrent it comes with DNA which starts at boot.

Killing the proceses and even uninstalling DNA, it was still registering upload and download speeds with no torrents on my system.

In the end I uninstalled BitTorrent as well, cleared out the redundant registry entries and shredded everything with crap cleaner.

Since reboot the IP notifications have stopped. Downloaded and installed Vuze (formerly known as Azureus) and did one small download ok. Will give it a big blast tommorow to use up the rest of my limit before it resets on Monday.

Hopefully that's the end of it.

These pop ups are driving me crazy. I am running win xp home and am updated to dataversion 2577. Every few seconds or so the ip protection pops upeach time a diffrent IP address rangeing fom 218.1.21.162 to 219.145.57.43 etc. I have ran every scan I know and no virus is ever found.

I love this Program but at this point I am ready to just remove it . Is there any hope of a solution soon ?

Based on what I am reading Bittorrent may be a problem and updateing may help so I uninstalled Bittorrent DNA and updated my database to ver 2583 and so far no popups. Not sure which one solved it or if it is solved but so far no popups for sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. Constant popups. Please fix this! It makes the program a form of Malware itself! I don't really care if it keeps finding sites with potential infections! I only care that it stops them. Please fix this major problem.

I disabled IP protection and it keeps saying - Infection detected, 222.78.92.202.

Now logically, I would expect that if I scanned I would find an infection - but I don't

Also, I would expect an explanation of what this meant and how it was fixed or dealt with in some sort of log, but I don't.

I will have to disable the whole program if this continues and request a refund.