• 4 months later...

Is there an expected release date for scheduled scanning on Mac?  Seems like a pretty key capability.

Until there is, must I really explicitly run a scan manually?  Does real time protection suffice, such as doing an incremental scan on any new files created or updated since the last full scan?

• 3 months later...

I appreciate that you can't commit to a release date, though it would be nice to know that scheduled scans on a Mac is planned for (enter range of months or season of X year).  This inability to schedule scans on a Mac really ought to be made clear during the purchasing process.  Maybe I simply missed it?

I guess my concern is that "should do the trick" (above) is not the same as "will do the trick" or "just as effective"

• Staff

Not to defend the lack of scheduled scanning capabilities on the platform or anything, but on my Windows installation the first thing I always do after activating Malwarebytes is delete the scheduled scan that gets created by default as I don't want some CPU and disk intensive task kicking off while I'm in the middle of using my PC.  I rely on the realtime protection (which has malware prevention capabilities far beyond those contained in the scan engine, including signature-less behavior based protection components and malicious website filtering/blocking) and on very rare occasions will run a quick Threat scan just to make sure everything is in working order (though it never finds anything).

I don't know the full technical details on the protective aspects of the Mac product, but I suspect that it similarly includes at least some capabilities in its realtime protection component that extend beyond the detection capabilities contained in its scan engine, making infection while protection is active (as long as it is kept up to date, of course) very unlikely.

That said, if there are any regular maintenance tasks that you perform on your Mac such as updating any particular software that you use or checking for security updates/patches for Mac OS, you could make performing a scan with Malwarebytes a part of that routine so that you have malware scanning as a part of your regular security maintenance and checkup routine.  I know it's not exactly an ideal solution and that having to do these things manually can be an inconvenience, but assuming the scan doesn't take too long, it shouldn't be too time consuming either (and I've heard the scans on Mac are pretty fast, though I have no first-hand knowledge to speak from).

As for providing any sort of time estimate or release schedule, I understand why they don't having been a Product Manager myself in the past.  It's impossible to nail down any such schedule because of the unforeseen that almost always seems to occur, be it a previously undiscovered bug or vulnerability in the software that necessitates a patch, diverting development efforts from other tasks or unforeseen hurdles in developing a major new feature like scheduled scanning which end up delaying the completion and rollout of the new capability and to not deliver on any estimate given, regardless of how good or valid the reason might be, could be perceived as lying; something I'm certain no one from Malwarebytes would ever want to do to their loyal users and customers.  So in such cases it is better to simply state the truth that the feature is planned for sometime in the future and that they do not know exactly when it will make it into the software.  As they say, it is always better to under-promise and over-deliver than to over-promise and under-deliver.

• 4 months later...

How much longer? I wouldn't have purchased a set of new licenses if I knew I couldn't schedule. I've only purchase licenses for Windows up to now. Now that I'm adding Mac's I don't have the same features as I do for PC. But yet I still paid full price. NOT HAPPY!

• Staff

This feature is being added in the next release, which is coming "Real Soon Now." I don't want to jinx myself by giving a specific timeline and having some weird thing come up last minute, but suffice it to say you should install the next update. :)