Support for v.1.2.6

• Staff

The official lifecycle policy with EOL dates can be found here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle/

However, note that, although Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.0 is past its EOL date, we're still delivering signature updates for that (even though it's a completely separate mechanism from all subsequent versions of the software). That won't continue forever, obviously... but I wouldn't be afraid of signature updates stopping for 1.2.6 any time soon.

Regarding Malwarebytes for Mac 3.0 and later, those will continue to do the same job as 1.2.6 - manual scans and full remediation - for free. You'll only have to pay for Premium if you want the real-time protection functionality, otherwise you can continue using the free functionality indefinitely.

On 8/2/2017 at 0:19 PM, treed said:

The official lifecycle policy with EOL dates can be found here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle/

However, note that, although Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.0 is past its EOL date, we're still delivering signature updates for that (even though it's a completely separate mechanism from all subsequent versions of the software). That won't continue forever, obviously... but I wouldn't be afraid of signature updates stopping for 1.2.6 any time soon.

Regarding Malwarebytes for Mac 3.0 and later, those will continue to do the same job as 1.2.6 - manual scans and full remediation - for free. You'll only have to pay for Premium if you want the real-time protection functionality, otherwise you can continue using the free functionality indefinitely.

Just as a quick question, would the new Malwarebytes for Mac 3.0 continue to work alongside other antivirus software(avast, sophos, etc) just like its previous version?

It's normally not a good idea to have more than one real-time / on-access process active at the same time. Although I have not had time to check 3.0's Real-Time Scans against the other's mentioned, I suspect the same issues involving multiple scanning processes attempting to access the same file might cause problems. That would mean disabling all but one such process.

Edited by alvarnell

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, irajacobs said:

I prefer something that does not run in the background.

You can easily disable the background process in v3 either in the dashboard (clicking Real-Time  Protection "on" changes to off) or from the menu icon. Once the trial expires, it will automatically be disabled unless you upgrade to premium mode.

alvarnell I'm not just talking about the active protection, I'm talking about the app always running, remaining in the taskbar, etc. 

I'm aware of the benefits of real-time protection , but for this particular user it is not wanted :) So, where can 1.2.6 be downloaded from please?  Or do I have to resort to 3rd party websites to get it?

Thank you!

The app certainly isn't running all the time on my computer and the menubar icon can easily be removed in by checking the box in Settings->General->Hide application icon. I don't see any sign of a malwarebytes process in my Activity Monitor, so what indication do you have that anything is running?

57 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

The app certainly isn't running all the time on my computer and the menubar icon can easily be removed in by checking the box in Settings->General->Hide application icon. I don't see any sign of a malwarebytes process in my Activity Monitor, so what indication do you have that anything is running?

Hi alvarnell,

in Activity Monitor, select the Memory tab, and look for RTProtectionDaemon (see attachment). You should find it. It is definitely part of MBAM 3.x, and has already been discussed in another topic on the forum.

Cheers

Manfred

RTProtectionDaemon.thumb.jpg.67e778614c76a0f23299e3eb108b0fab.jpg

• Staff

Disabling real-time protection in the app should cause RTProtectionDaemon to stop using any CPU time and stop using additional RAM.

(Also, we think we've found the source of the memory issue and will make that a part of a release next month.)

For folks who really want to go back to 1.2.6, you can find it here:

https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mbam-mac-1.2.6.730.dmg

We're also going to be releasing a new version (1.3) of that soon with some important bug fixes, for our legacy (10.9) users. However, note that there will be no further versions after that, and eventually the detection offered by that app will fall behind that of the more current branch.

I have been subscribing to a Premium service for 3 years, and just received an email about version 3.0, so upgraded. Now looking at Launchpad, I see I have 3 Malwarebyte icons, two that look the same and one with the Parallels bar. One version is 1.2.6, the parallels bar version is 3.1.2 and the other plain version is the recently downloaded 3.0.2.

So now I'm confused. I was going to use AppCleaner to uninstall 1.2.6 but then wondered whether I would be deleting any resources used by the other 2.

Any recommendations on what I should do? Many thanks.

• Staff

There's no Mac version 3.1.2, so that must be running in Windows inside a Parallels virtual machine. I'm not sure why that would show up in LaunchPad, unless Parallels lets you add "shortcut" apps that automatically open the Parallels VM and launch that app in Windows.

As for AppCleaner, never use that or any other similar app. That is never the right way to uninstall Mac software. In the case of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can uninstall that older software by opening it, then choosing Uninstall from the Help menu.

• 2 months later...
On 24/8/2017 at 11:09 PM, treed said:

As for AppCleaner, never use that or any other similar app. That is never the right way to uninstall Mac software. In the case of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can uninstall that older software by opening it, then choosing Uninstall from the Help menu.

There are mac (not appstore) applications that  haven't an uninstall procedure unlike malwarebytes: in case why  isn't recommended to use appcleaner (which is sold on appstore)?

• Staff
1 hour ago, irajacobs said:

Thank you for your assistance previously.  Is there now a download for MBAM 1.3.1 available somewhere? 

You can get 1.3.1 here:

https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mbam-mac-1.3.1.dmg

However, I recommend that anyone who is using macOS 10.10 or higher uses Malwarebytes for Mac 3 instead. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.3.1 should really only be used as a legacy product, on macOS 10.9.x.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

There are mac (not appstore) applications that  haven't an uninstall procedure unlike malwarebytes: in case why  isn't recommended to use appcleaner (which is sold on appstore)?

This isn't really the right place to discuss general Mac uninstall procedures, but some Mac apps from outside the App Store don't require any specific uninstall procedures. Those that do should provide an uninstaller. If an app needs an uninstaller and doesn't provide one, it's not decent quality software and shouldn't be used.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was not the appropriate forum: I just hooked up to a previous statement; however, it does not provide the uninstaller if you need it is also Microsoft Office 2016 which is a totally respected application; Certainly Malwarebytes providing it is much better

Also because often apps leave various unnecessary files on the disk that slow down the system

Thank you very much

Greetings

Massimiliano

Edited by MAXBAR1