Malwarebytes Disappeared

I use Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium (last renewal was 12/18/16) and never any problems with it before..

This may be irrelevant, but will give this morning's background:  When I turned on computer this morning, it was extremely busy. Task Manager showed about 75% disk usage by "Microsoft Compatibility Telem..."   When I could finally get on the internet, I googled that term to see what it was and one of the links I clicked on brought up MBAM warning about being a suspicious site or something like that.  So MBAM must have been ok and working at that time.

Soon after that, I clicked on my MBAM shortcut icon to see if anything going on there and clicking on it brought no response.  Turned computer off and on a couple of times and still no response.  Noticed that shield part of icon was not white and I THINK it was normally white???

Can somebody tell me what might be wrong and how to fix it?  I am not very computer savy so need simple explanations.

Thanks.......Thais

1 hour ago, thais said:

Can somebody tell me what might be wrong and how to fix it?

We need some diagnostic logs to do that.

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  6. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  7. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  8. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  9. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  10. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

I tried to download the FRST tool but ran into a snag.  The first time I tried, it wouldn't download at all - I forget the exact wording but something about 'designed to run on XP, Vista, Win7, Win8'   (I use Windows 10)  ............so

I tried a second time.  This time it didn't give me a choice where to save it - just put it in Downloads folder.  Went to Downloads folder and double-clicked on the FRST64.exe file and got message "Windows protected your PC.  Windows Defender SmartScan  prevented an unrecognized app from starting.  Running this app might put your PC at risk."  There was only one button to click: "Don't Run" - so I clicked that and .......

here I am back again.  What to do now? 

Please restart your computer then make sure all browsers and other programs are closed and follow the below.

I would recommend upgrading to the latest 3.1.2.1733 CU 1.0.160 build.

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool. Be sure all programs and browsers are closed.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

Well, that is the wierdest thing!  I proceeded to follow your instructions - first restarting my computer (always before, I had 'shut down').  When it restarted, it was once again very busy.  Checking Task Manager showed that MBAM was using about 75% of the disk.  Going to my MBAM shortcut, I found that I COULD open it now and it was, indeed scanning my computer!! (found nothing)  So I don't know what made it come back (perhaps restarting vs shut down??) but it is now up and running again so don't guess I need to do the reinstall do you think?  What I currently have is:

MBAM Version:  3.1.2.1733                    Component Pkg Version:  1.0.141                             Update Pkg.Version:  1.0.2484

Thanks so much for your help.  You guys are great!!  I don't know if you are a volunteer or a paid employee but Malwarebytes is certainly a class act.

..........Thais

Just keep an eye on it. Personally, I disable "Fast Startup" on all Desktops I work on. If you wish to do that so your computer actually shuts down see below.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

7 minutes ago, thais said:

I don't know if you are a volunteer or a paid employee but Malwarebytes is certainly a class act.

Just a long time volunteer who owns a computer shop.

Glad to help.