• 1 month later...

Hi Bob Guryan,

In as much as you guys were kind enough to offer assistance, it seems that AGi62's suggestion of delaying the service pretty much cured the problem.

Now, it is only on a very rare occasion (once a month perhaps) on a fresh boot up, that the MBAR service does not engage properly.

It now boots up reliably.

The reason for the delay in getting back to you was simply to check out AGI62's suggestion long term. Frankly it works very well.

Perhaps works well for me because it could be related to my system's size and the many background applications I have running.

Frankmeister

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Frank. I'm not sure I understand the question. 

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta is not intended to be run alongside our flagship product, Malwarebytes 3, Premium or Trial.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta has a license, but it does not expire after 15 days.

Malwarebytes 3 Premium/Trial includes the anti-ransomware technology which we first test in the Beta.

If this is your first install of the latest version of Malwarebytes 3 it will have enabled a Trial. That trial is active for 14 days.

If you had a licensed version of Malwarebytes already installed, that license should have been picked up during the upgrade.

Since we never really got into diagnostics with the issue you reported, we don't have any logs available to review. What version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware did you have installed previously?

Edit:

My apologies, Frank. I reviewed the entire topic again, and see where you mention:

Yes, Anti-Malware Free V2.2.1.1043 (not running resident as far as I know)

We've recently turned up the metering for all our older versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This is why you received an update to the latest version.

To be able to have anti-ransomware protection after the 2 week trial period is over, you'd either need to purchase a license, or revert to MBAM2 and disable program updates, and also reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta. We don't encourage folks to do that, however, because of the improved detection capabilities of the scanner functions in MB3. Addiitonally MBAM 2 has reached End of life in terms of official support. We do still send definition updates to MBAM2 but it's not receiving any new technology updates.

You can see more about our product life cycles here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle/

Edited by tetonbob

• Staff

Hi Frank. Our Malwarebytes 3 Free version will continue to receive new scanning technologies. But, real time protection technology and improvements are reserved for the Premium (and Trial) version of the program. Your MBAM2 was an on demand scanner only. We plan to continue that type of function in MB3 Free. 

If you choose to let the trial expire and don't purchase a license for the new program,  then all the real time protection functions will also cease to function once the trial is ended.

I hope that helps explain. Let me know.

• Staff

Hi Frank. Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware (MBARW) standalone is in a constant state of development. The current installer base is 0.9.18.807 with Component Update Package 1.1.86

The current Component Update Package is 1.1.117, which will get downloaded within a few minutes of the completed installation.

Changes we make in the standalone are then later incorporated into MB3.

You can run MBARW standalone alongside MBAM2 and MBAE standalone (also a Beta). You won't be able to run MBARW alongside MB3.

We would hope that you'd continue to use the complete protection of our flagship product.

The latest version of the installer will always be posted in a topic in this forum.

Side note:

MBAR is the acronym we use for our Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit Beta, which pre-dates MBARW. :)  We have a bit of alphabet crossover here.

Edited by tetonbob

Hey Bob,

Yes, this abbreviating nomenclature is getting out of control :)

So, I can't run MB V3 (free) non resident (as an on demand scanner) at the same time as MB Anti-ransom (if I were to reinstall it) ?

In other news:

Since the updated MB V3 install, my computer went to hell in a hand basket. :( 

During the update install,  it installed itself, uninstalled the previous version, uninstalled Anti Ransom and then crashed the computer.

Subsequent windows restarts were still a bit messed up. I rebooted in safe mode and disabled MB3 resident modes and also prevented it from booting with windows.

Now windows is back to normal. I am only running Avast resident and MS Security Essentials AV.

MSSE is not set to run resident but as we all know, something about it is somehow sorta slightly resident.

Bottom line, I have no idea why MB3 crashed. My system had no previous problems.

I would have mentioned this earlier but wanted to be sure my windows problem was MB3 running resident.

• Staff

Hi Frank.

So, I can't run MB V3 (free) non resident (as an on demand scanner) at the same time as MB Anti-ransom (if I were to reinstall it) ?

That is correct.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you were having with MB3 installed. But, this

I am only running Avast resident and MS Security Essentials AV.

+MB3 is too many security applications, and quite possibly the reason for the issue. That's two anti-virus plus our anti-virus replacement program, MB3.