Just rebooted computer after MBAR update to: 0.9.18.797-1.1.86  and get error.

Previous versions had this same intermittent error upon initial computer boot then MBAR launch. This happened about once or twice a week.

It was easily fixed by right clicking the MBAR ICON on the task bar and clicking "exit" followed by restarting MBAR and clicking "fix".

I had hoped this malfunction would one day be resolved....

Clicking exit essentially shuts down the MBARW.exe process. As long as there was an internet connection, restarting MBAR could resolve itself.

HOWEVER,

this no longer works since the update. Now I have to shutdown the MB3Service.exe which is much more cumbersome, then restart MBAR and press "fix".

I sincerely wish this problem would be addressed as it has gotten worse, not better.

That's developer gang for looking into this !   :) 

Hello @Frankmeister:

Please take a screengrab of the error message and while the MBARW BETA 09's issue still exists, please follow the procedure below.

The Malwarebytes' developers/staffers/helpers must have good data for a quality fault analysis.  Use the following Malwarebytes data gathering support tool, on the system in question, restarted in the Windows NORMAL boot mode:

1. Download the trusted, Malwarebytes authored arwlogs.exe utility/tool and save only to a system Administrator's desktop of the system in question.
  2. arwlogs.exe is an information gathering tool that neither installs nor does it make system/registry hive changes.
  3. Single right-click the j1Bynr2.png&key=c55e643d4ec26aa771880d2d  arwlogs.exe icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the Windows context menu.
  4. If a Windows User Account Control (UAC) alert/prompt for arwlogs.exe appears, select the "Yes" button to continue.
  5. If a Windows SmartScreen warning alert/prompt for arwlogs.exe appears, select "More info" then select the "Run anyway" button to continue.
  6. A Command window will appear and its contents may be mostly ignored.
  7. When "Press any key to continue . . . " appears at the bottom of the Command window, type any Enter key to close the window.
  8. A zipped archive HSPwQfy.png&key=8bea481e1c29518a4e1e2ca3 (yyyy-mm-dd-{COMPUTERNAME}.zip) should have been generated to the system Administrator's desktop.
  9. Attach the above-zipped archive to your next reply in this topic.
  10. Delete j1Bynr2.png&key=c55e643d4ec26aa771880d2d  arwlogs.exe from the Administrator desktop.

Other than MBARW BETA 09, does the system in question have any other Malwarebytes products installed?  If so, what are their names and version numbers, please?

Since you may have not already done so by now, please consider selecting the "Follow" button, near the upper-right corner of your topic, to receive timely notifications regarding replies.

Although more data may be required, after the requested data is posted, the Malwarebytes' team can commence their analysis.  Thank you always for your assistance.

Hi Tech Support,

>Other than MBARW BETA 09, does the system in question have any other Malwarebytes products installed?  If so, what are their names and version numbers, please?

Yes, Anti-Malware Free V2.2.1.1043 (not running resident as far as I know)

I ran your program arwlogs.exe however, it is 54mb and there is a 29mb limit on uploads.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Frank

Oh, I forgot the error screen grab.

This is my typical error screen. I got this one this morning after a start of day boot up.

The one I got yesterday I didn't screen capture.

It looked similar but was a bit different... that was the one that only restored MBWAR after closing the service (MB3service) not just the process (MBARW).

This is 2 days in a row that I got this error after a fresh computer boot:

Oddly, I just rebooted and didn't get the error.

I needed to reboot after running your diagnostic program as I lost internet connection.

5981eb63a8ac1_MBARErrormessage.jpg.ef8a760696ec1c3de1d620063b9e3e5d.jpg

He Guys,

Thanks for the reply. This is day 4 and every fresh morning computer boot results in an MBAR error.

Today I got the FIX NOW screen above and it DID NOT fix as it always did in the past. It required closing the MB3 service.exe

I was mistaken when I thought my error screen image might be different than the one above.

It is always that image, it's just that it sometimes it needs the service closed instead of just closing MBARW.exe 

As you requested:    https://we.tl/GKY1oKk6zf

Hello @Frankmeister:

Unfortunately, the following comes back from that WeTransfer URL:

"Transfer deleted

Sorry, this transfer has been deleted and is not available any more [sic]"

Please set aside that 54MB archive (.zip) in a protected area in the event the developers still wish to analyze it.  In the meantime, please perform an MBARW clean reinstall:

1) Please delete all previous copies of mbarw-setup-consumer-0.9.18.797.exe.
2) Please save all work and close all user applications.
3) Using the Windows system control panel, please uninstall MBARW BETA 09 (v0.9.18.797) in a conventional manner.
4) After the uninstall has completed, please restart the Windows system to the NORMAL mode.
5) Please download a fresh copy of MBARW BETA 09 (v0.9.18.797) and save only to a system Administrator's desktop.
6) As a double-check, please single right-click the mbarw-setup-consumer-0.9.18.797.exe desktop icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as administrator from the Windows context menu.
7) When the installation process has successfully completed, please restart the Windows system to the NORMAL boot mode.

Please reply to this topic with the status of the system.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

Hello @Frankmeister:

If the last installation of the mbarw-setup-consumer-0.9.18.797.exe was preceded by an uninstall & a Windows restart, then the product of the arwlogs.exe tool should yield a significantly smaller archive file.  Please repeat the use of the arwlogs.exe tool, as documented in my first reply to you, and attach the yyyy-mm-dd-{COMPUTERNAME}.zip file in your next reply.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hi AGI62,

I use a program called "Startup delayer" to delay program starts.

In order to delay the start of MBAR, I will need to find where the startup function is located.

Most of the time CCleaner will show that but not with MBAR. Now all I can do is find it in the registry. However, I have been unable to find it in the usual startup locations.

Do you know the path to the registry key for startup ?

hi,

for Windows 7, go to:

ctrl+alt+canc (del)

task manager - services - click on the button "services" in the bottom of the page -

locate "Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Service" - double click

start type: "automatic delayed"

save and restart Windows.

I apologize for the translation, I have the Italian operating system.

Agi62,

Thank you very much !!  I have made the changes.

I will wait to see if it cures the problem over the next few days then I will post back to you.

">I apologize for the translation, I have the Italian operating system."  Your translation was perfect !  I assume you are from Italy ?   This is Myrtle Beach SC USA.

17 hours ago, Frankmeister said:

Agi62,

Thank you very much !!  I have made the changes.

I will wait to see if it cures the problem over the next few days then I will post back to you.

">I apologize for the translation, I have the Italian operating system."  Your translation was perfect !  I assume you are from Italy ?   This is Myrtle Beach SC USA.

Yes, I'm Italian from Ravenna :)

Agi62,

Thanks, so far I have been able to boot up with no MBAR problem. I will see how it goes during the week. So far so good :) 

(I took a look at  Ravenna with google earth. It was fun driving through the streets. It's quite a big metropolis. I'm 3rd generation Italian, but can't speak the language :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi agi62,

I wanted to use your suggested delay technique for a while before I commented...

It works VERY well. Now, perhaps once a week (at most) MBAR will not activate properly.

(This is MUCH better than before, where it was every other boot there was a problem)

However, NOW, the vast majority of all cold computer boots, MBAR loads and functions perfectly.

Thank you VERY much for your suggestion. It seems as though Malware Bytes Tech Svc disappeared from this thread perhaps for lack of input.

Your suggestion to delay the service has made a dramatic difference and it's something many others can benefit from.

Thanks Again,

Frank

Also:

South Carolina was in the direct path of the recent full eclipse.

It lasted for a minute or so..... I just didn't get what the fuss was all about. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as everyone said it was.

Maybe they were looking at a different eclipse ! :) 

20 hours ago, Frankmeister said:

South Carolina was in the direct path of the recent full eclipse.

It lasted for a minute or so..... I just didn't get what the fuss was all about. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as everyone said it was.

Maybe they were looking at a different eclipse ! :) 

Hi,
I hope that they succeed in finding the solution for the problem :-)

Have you photographed the eclipse?

• tetonbob changed the title to Latest Version MBARW problems
  • Staff

Hello, @Frankmeister -

I'd like to take a look at what's running on your system. As you've had this issue with previous Beta releases, this would seem it's not build-specific, but may be system-specific.

Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Addition.txt log to your reply as well.

The previous uploads from the arwlogs tool have been deleted. Would you mind running it once again? Please do download a new copy, as we update it from time to time. I'll provide those instructions again here:

Next, we need to gather additional information to assist with our analysis. arwlogs.exe is an information gathering tool that neither installs nor does it make system/registry hive changes.

1. Download the trusted, Malwarebytes authored arwlogs.exe utility/tool and save only to a system Administrator's desktop of the system in question.
  2. Single right-click the j1Bynr2.png&key=c55e643d4ec26aa771880d2d  arwlogs.exe icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the Windows context menu.
  3. If a Windows User Account Control (UAC) alert/prompt for arwlogs.exe appears, select the "Yes" button to continue.
  4. If a Windows SmartScreen warning alert/prompt for arwlogs.exe appears, select "More info" then select the "Run anyway" button to continue.
  5. A Command window will appear and its contents may be mostly ignored.
  6. When "Press any key to continue . . . " appears at the bottom of the Command window, type any Enter key to close the window.
  7. A zipped archive HSPwQfy.png&key=8bea481e1c29518a4e1e2ca3 (yyyy-mm-dd-{COMPUTERNAME}.zip) should have been generated to the system Administrator's desktop.
  8. Attach the above-zipped archive to your next reply in this topic.
  9. Delete j1Bynr2.png&key=c55e643d4ec26aa771880d2d  arwlogs.exe from the Administrator desktop.

P.S. - Many thanks to @1PW for all the assistance provided.

Hi 1PW & TentonBob,

I will run the diagnostics you suggested. I will be out of the office for a few days but I will be on it ASAP.

As for specifics:

I am running W7-64 on 2 different computers with the same hardware config. They both have had problems where MBAR required "fixing". In your previous version it only required closing the process. Now with the latest version I need to close the service.

Thanks to AGI62's suggestion of delaying the process, MBAR only fails a maximum of once a week instead of every third day.