Malware Protection won't start

5 minutes ago, CGooding said:

My malware protection won't start

Let us get a clean install of the current version.

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to reinstall the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I had the same problem after updating to the latest 3 version. I've stuck with the old 2 since I had many of the same issues others did. I've successfully updated my laptop, but the PC is having problems. Windows 7 64bit

I had to do a system restore when the update kept popping up the "turn protection on" but I couldn't seem to activate it.

After the system restore, the old version activate, although the Task Manager showed it when I started it manually, but I couldn't get into any settings, and the icon wasn't showing.

So I tried the MB-clean tool recommended above. Seemed to work okay and then stalled, then said it failed and suggested I supply the attached report and ask for help. It also created a text file with my licence info, but I doubt you need that.

Any advice welcome!

thanks

mb-clean-results.txt

1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  3. Press the "Scan" button
  4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE:
    These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  1. Create and obtain an mb-check log
  1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  4. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:
  1. Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE:
    These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  4. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Thanks Porthos. I'll try this tomorrow. It's late here (Australia) and I'm on the wrong computer at the moment. I'll let you know what happens!

Edited by NanaMac
I don't know what the first #1. means

17 hours ago, Porthos said:
    NOTE:

Hope I did this right.

mb-check-results.zip

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I will ask a staff member to take a look. @dcollins @nikhils

Thanks, Porthos. I'm about to shut down for the night. A little worried that the Windows updates that are about to install themselves when it shuts down, but I don't think they would have affect the MB results anyway. I forgot that they were eliminated when I did the system restore earlier. I also doubt that they were originally the cause of any of my problems, although I've had occasion to roll back a Windows update that got a bit out of hand and needed to be civilised before reinstalling! :)

• 3 weeks later...