I decided to do a clean reinstall of Windows tonight and I am running into an issue. I have both Malwarebytes 3 and Malwarebytes anti-ransomware. When I installed both before, I was able to get them to run without issue. Now, I am getting an error "Unable to start - Unable to connect the Service". This error message happens for Malwarebytes anti-ransomware first, but then upon reboot, it effects Malwarebytes 3 and it won't launch, but Malwarebytes anti-ransomware works fine. Upon further inspection, the service in Services returns the following error when trying to manually start it "error 80040154: class not registered"

Any ideas? I also submitted a ticket to malwarebytes support.

Anti-ransomware is built-in to Malwarebytes 3, it is redundant to run a second stand-alone copy.

7 hours ago, AndyPP said:

Anti-ransomware is built-in to Malwarebytes 3, it is redundant to run a second stand-alone copy.

Isn't this only a premium feature?

Hi pianomanjay :)

Last time I checked, Malwarebytes 3 and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware cannot be run side-by-side (it leads to one of them throwing an "Unable to connect to service" error). Malwarebytes 3 and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit can be ran side-by-side though.

And you're right, the Anti-Ransomware module is a feature of Malwarebytes 3 Premium.

10 hours ago, Aura said:

Hi pianomanjay :)

Last time I checked, Malwarebytes 3 and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware cannot be run side-by-side (it leads to one of them throwing an "Unable to connect to service" error). Malwarebytes 3 and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit can be ran side-by-side though.

And you're right, the Anti-Ransomware module is a feature of Malwarebytes 3 Premium.

Thanks so much for the help!

No problem pianomanjay, you're welcome :) 

So I am confused. Is the Anti-Ransomware protection built into Malwarebytes 3.0 a PREMIUM only feature? If it is why would you not have Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA work with people who don't want premium and want to stick with the free version of Malwarebytes 3.0. Since I have the premium free trial turned off there is nothing to stop Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA from working. So is there a way to have Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA work with non-premium users? It seems kind of unfair for people who don't want to pay for premium and still want to be protected from zero day ransomware viuses.

If this is true then should I downgrade to MBAB 2.2.1? Since I will have the same features, if I am understanding this correctly. Since upgrading to Malwarebytes 3.0 actually removes features that should be working already, as with the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA compatibility errors. What is the actual difference between Malwarebytes 3.0 and MBAM 2.2.1? Am I getting anything out of it or is it just a painful headache waiting to burst? I am dissapointed that a new version is giving me more problems with Ransomware protection, especially with Ransomware on the rise. Any help or clarification would be appreciated. :)

Is the Anti-Ransomware protection built into Malwarebytes 3.0 a PREMIUM only feature?

Yes it is. Real-time protection (Malware, Web, Ransom and Exploit) are features only available in the Premium version of Malwarebytes. The Free version only offers scanning and removal features.

If it is why would you not have Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA work with people who don't want premium and want to stick with the free version of Malwarebytes 3.0.

I do not have the answer to this question sadly.

Since I have the premium free trial turned off there is nothing to stop Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA from working.

There is. When I looked into it, I think it's because both Malwarebytes 3 and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta uses the same service. So when one program is using it, the other cannot access it.

So is there a way to have Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA work with non-premium users?

At the moment, there isn't a way to do so with users using Malwarebytes 3.

It seems kind of unfair for people who don't want to pay for premium and still want to be protected from zero day ransomware viuses.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware protects you from Ransomware, but there's no such thing as "0 day Ransomware". Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Beta (which works with Malwarebytes 3 Free) would be the program protecting you against 0 days here.

If this is true then should I downgrade to MBAB 2.2.1? Since I will have the same features, if I am understanding this correctly.

The scanning capabilities of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1 and Malwarebytes 3 aren't the same. The scanning and cleaning engines in Malwarebytes 3 has been improved in a way that the ones in 2.2.1 aren't.

What is the actual difference between Malwarebytes 3.0 and MBAM 2.2.1?

The biggest differences are that Malwarebytes 3 now bundles Anti-Ransomware and Anti-Exploit as protection modules, along the traditional Malware and Web protection ones, while Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1 only have Malware and Web protection modules.

Interesting, So does Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Beta protect against ransomware as well as zero days? If not then maybe I am better off downgrading to 2.2.1, since I want the best ransomware protection possible while still staying free. Thanks for the fast reply!

EDIT: Also are the changes in the scanning capabilities so drastic from MBAB 3 and MBAB 2.2.1. Will I still be protected if I downgrade? Or will it just be slower?

Edited by TheRealJames

So does Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Beta protect against ransomware as well as zero days?

It'll protect you against Ransomware that uses exploits and/or 0 days in order to infect a system, yes.

Also are the changes in the scanning capabilities so drastic from MBAB 3 and MBAB 2.2.1. Will I still be protected if I downgrade? Or will it just be slower?

My understanding is that you're running Malwarebytes 3 Free right now, no? If so, then you are not protected. Malwarebytes 3 Free, like explained above, doesn't offer any real-time protection, only remediation. So Malwarebytes 3 Free can help you find and remove infection on your system, but it cannot prevent them. Malwarebytes 3 Premium can because it have real-time protection.

I have Mcafee Antivirus Plus that provides Real-Time Protection, So I don't need Real Time Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I am just using MBAM as a right-click scanner for files I download off of the internet and for protecting myself against ransomware, which Mcafee doesn't do.

If you were to get Malwarebytes 3 Premium, you could add extra layer of protections in your setup. But that's just my opinion :)

In that case, you are fine with Malwarebytes 3 Free no?

Actually if you run two real-time scanners together it can make your computer slower and can even conflict with each other, making the real time scanners inneffective. I would be happy with Malwarebytes 3.0 if it would allow me to run both MBAM 3.0 and the MBAM Anti-Ransomware BETA at the same time with a free licence. But it looks like that is not possible at this time, so it looks like I will be forced to downgrade to what I already had that worked with MBAM Anti-Ransomware. Thanks again for your fast replies! :)

Actually if you run two real-time scanners together it can make your computer slower and can even conflict with each other, making the real time scanners inneffective.

I see where you're coming from with this, but in this situation, it isn't true :) This is the case for Antivirus products, such as Symantec (Norton), McAfee, Kaspersky, ESET, avast, AVG, etc. Malwarebytes 3 is primarily what we could call an Anti-Malware and it's built to add layers of protection on a system without interfering with your Antivirus. So in that case, using Malwarebytes 3 Premium with McAfee wouldn't cause any issue. I've been using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for years now with various Antivirus (Avira, Kaspersky, ESET, Emsisoft, etc) and I've never seen such conflict arise on all my systems.

I see. Nonetheless, If the free version of Malwarebytes 3.0 cannot work with the free Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA then I will just downgrade to MBAM 2.2.1. Since I have no plans of buying another anti-malware program, MBAM 2.2.1 will just suffice. So will there be any research in the future on how to fix this annoying problem with MBAM Anti-Ransomware BETA? Since it is a pretty big bug and this feature was supported in earlier versions

Go ahead then :)

So will there be any research in the future on how to fix this annoying problem with MBAM Anti-Ransomware BETA? Since it is a pretty big bug and this feature was supported in earlier versions

I asked that question yesterday to a Staff member. Still waiting for a reply on this.

Alright, thanks for your helpful replies. Hopefully the Anti-Ransomware BETA feature will be back online with the Malwarebytes 3.0. Besides that issue I have had no problems with the new revamped version of Malwarebytes. You guys are doing great, keep up the good work! :)

Thank you for your kind comments TheRealJames, it is always appreciated :)