pinkish

Windows 10 vs 7: more vulnerable to ransomware?

So here is my (possibly newbie) question: which of the 2 setups below is more vulnerable to ransomware?

Windows 10 (fully updated) + latest NOD32 Antivirus + latest Malwarebytes

vs.

Windows 7 (fully updated) + latest NOD32 Antivirus + latest Malwarebytes

I am currently still running Windows 7 and I want to know if I should upgrade to Windows 10 from the point of view of ransomware and similar attacks.

Thanks!

Hi pinkish,

I think windows 7 is more vulnerable. see http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-windows-7-is-way-more-exposed-to-ransomware-than-windows-10/

From what I read online I think windows 10 is better protected against malware in general.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Durew

What Durew stated above is fairly accurate based on what I've observed lately, however Windows 10 has proven to be quite vulnerable as well unfortunately as there are still threats and exploits designed to specifically target Windows 10 so keeping regular backups (which aren't connected to your system except when actually backing up your files/data) and using solid malware protection is still very important, even on the most secure operating systems.

That said, there are some tools built into modern Windows versions that can aid you in protecting your data including options to backup your files to external drives as well as system image backups which enable you to create copies of your entire system to restore it from scratch and have everything as it is at the time of the backup in case of a total system failure (not just from malware, but system corruption and drive failure as well).  The first few links on this page should prove most informative (I just searched for the word "backup" on Microsoft's official support site).

Thank you very much for your answers. I have a lot of data (a few terrabytes) and backing up is very hard. I think I'll read some more before upgrading to Windows 10.

No problem.  Honestly, I'm still using Windows 7 myself and have no plans to upgrade to 10.  I prefer the standard Explorer shell/interface for accessing files and programs and I'm not a big fan of the touch-friendly/tile based interface used in Windows 8 and 10 so I've stuck with 7, even when MS was offering 10 for free.

As long as I've got my top notch exploit protection I don't sweat the vulnerabilities.  I just keep my system patched with Windows updates and make sure to update my plugins like Flash Player regularly to keep everything as secure and stable as possible.  It's been well over 10 years since I had any malware on any of my systems, and I'm confident that a big part of that is the fact that I've had Malwarebytes running in the background blocking the bad stuff.