Malwarebytes 3.1.2 Exploit Protection Won't Turn On XP

Well, that was a no joy for me. I am running XP SP3 by the way. After downloading and installing it wanted a restart, which I did. First thing I got was a popup saying...

"MBSHLEXT.DLL unable to register the dll/ocx: regsvr32 failed with exit code 0x5"

I tried several times to get exploit protection to start, no luck. Also, with the new download, and after installing 3.1.2, if I tried to activate the 'Enable self-protection module', which I have always used, it locks up MB completely. Only a restart will get it running again. I did turn off the self-protection module before I installed the new 3.1.2.

Whats the next step? :(

I just realized there is no 'edit post' :(

SO, update. If I exited MB, and restarted it, I got the 'self-protection module' to start :) I did a complete shutdown (not restart). I did not get the dll error popup, but I did get "Unable to load Anti-Rootkit DDA Driver" It wanted a restart, which I did. No errors or popups this time. I should add that I am using Zone Alarm, just in case they might be fighting or something :) I ran a Threat and Hyper scan, no problems. I still have no luck with activating the Exploit Protection. This is just way too buggy compared to the excellent results I have had. I have multiple licenses, and I have been using MB for many, many years, and will continue to do so!

Whats our next step?

5 minutes ago, Sparky_2020 said:

Whats our next step?

We need to get some Diagnostic logs to see what's is going on there.

First

• Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt

Next

• Create and obtain an mb-check log < >Download MB-Check and save to your desktop Double-click and run mb-check.exe  A command window will appear stating "running mb-check" followed by "running mb-grab " click OK.This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
    • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area
    • This zip will contain your FRST logs as well important MB logs for review.  So no need to attach those logs separately.

• Root Admin

Windows XP does not run BFE the same as Vista and up do. However there are some errors on the system that we should look and see if we can get all working as it should for you @Sparky_2020

I'm going to move your topic to the Malware Removal section of the forum where we can work on it one-on-one.

For now, please turn off the SELF PROTECTION in Malwarebytes and restart.

Let me get the following logs please.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup

Hey Ron :) If you check 2 posts back you will find a link to a Farbar scan I did just this morning. I am thinking my entries might have been taken out of context, or I just assumed since I was joining a discussion on the 3.1.2 upgrade, anyone reading these would understand that I had zero problems with the 3.0.6 (previous version). It was the upgrade to 3.1.2 where these problems started. I have no problem working through this with you if it will help yall find out why this new version is misbehaving in XP.

I was considering just doing a clean install, to test, but that might destroy information that would help you find the problem with the new version, so I will hold off on that.

Edited by Sparky_2020
adding

• Root Admin

Let's try a reinstall over the top again. One of the Anti-Exploit files was not replaced with one of the updated ones.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

Download the latest installer and install again and reboot the computer and let me know if that helps or not.

I hate to say it, but no joy. I tried it with zone alarm on, and also turned it off, restarted, and shut down the ZA background programs, then tried to reinstall MB again.

It shows the exploit protection on for about 25 seconds each time restart the computer(makes no difference if ZA is on or not), then it goes to off. Just clicking 'on', it only stays on for 2-3 seconds, then goes off again.

Could you do me a big favor, and delete my mb-check-results.zip file from the system. Having that much info about my machine on a public forum makes me real uneasy. Thanks :)

Edited by Sparky_2020
adding

Even more fun. The clean 'logs' were having some problems deleting some of the files... I am sure it was the ZA. It may have been ZA that stopped the original installation. I missed stopping one process of ZA called antitheft.exe. I did another clean, and reinstall. It worked perfect this time. Restarted several times with both programs running(ZA & MB), and no problems. I have several licenses, and many computers. This is gonna be a mess to get them all updated! I have done updates in the past with no problems like this. It could be a combination of your(MB) updated software, and ZA updates :(

I sure appreciate your time, and help with this. I have the greatest respect for anyone who has to deal with the public.

P.S. thank you for removing my scan file :)

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!