Unable to connect to the service

suddenly today Malwarebytes 3 won't start, says "Unable to connect to the service". Running Windows 10, have been using Malwarebytes premium for several years. Can't find any help searching online.

I think Win 10 did at least some updates overnight: No specific evidence, but delay with circle of stars during boot-up "looks like" what I see when Microsoft has pushed an update.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

:welcome: 

I am understanding that you see a message-box-window "Unable to start / unable to connect".

Advise us please, has this pc ever had  Malwarebytes  anti-exploit ?

Also, what is the brand name of the antivirus on this pc ?

also, we need diagnostic readout reports.

Please close all open work programs and save your work.  Let's please have all open user programs closed so that you see a cleared up view to the Desktop.
Please download our diagnostic tool, MB-Check to your Desktop from this link
Double-click it to run it.  After the tool has finished, you will see a message appear telling you to locate the zipped log files.
A zip file named mb-check-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop.
Please attach this file to your next reply.

I'm not clear what you mean by " has this pc ever had  Malwarebytes  anti-exploit ? ". If it means did it ever report finding something bad, the answer is "not in a couple of years".

The only antivirus other than Malwarebytes that is running is MS's Defender.

I will restart Windows and run MB-check and send along the results in a couple of minutes, if all goes well.

Thanks for the very quick response!

What I meant is, did this have the standalone "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit" program, in addition to the Anti-Malware.

Windows Defender is ok.   ( I was really asking about third party antivirus).

Please do send the mb-check-results.zip    ( attach it please).

The version for Malwarebytes reported is version 3.0.6

We need to get it to version 3.1.2.1733

Thanks for the reports.  Lets do this one time.  Restart Windows and re-do the setup ( one time).

Use the Start menu and do a Restart from that menu so that Windows is freshly restarted.  Now we are ready for the new install/upgrade.

Then, Please get and Save the new Malwarebytes 3.1.2  setup file "from this link"

Once saved, then run the mb3-setup file to start the install.
Let me know how this does.
Cheers,

43 minutes ago, EdJonesBGJ said:

Unable to connect to the service

Seems like you are using the older build of Mb 3.x

I would recommend upgrading to the latest 3.1.2.1733 CU 1.0.141 build.

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

Hello @tlseng and :welcome:

Since that system's Malwarebytes 3 (MB3) version is fairly old, and resource utilization improvements and very many fixes have been made, please follow this procedure:

1. Please follow the steps in the locked/pinned topic to uninstall the remnants of MB3 and reinstall the latest build: MB-Clean Tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the MB-Clean tool, you will be asked to reboot.  Once restarted, the tool will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the MB3 release version) or you can download the MB3 release version manually (currently v3.1.2.1733-1.0.141-1.0.2092) to re-install from HERE).
  2. Only if that does not correct the system's issue, then please read the following and only separately attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: mb-check-results.zip, FRST.txt, and Addition.txt).

NOTE: The following MB3 information is also available: MB3 User Guide ONLINE, MB3 User Guide PDF, and the MB3 FAQ.

Please reply to your topic with your progress.  Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

That works!  Thank you very much!

It is a little funny that the software version is old cause the software only stopped working after a version update last week.  Anyhow glad that it stopped working due to an old version rather than rootkit causing the problem.

Thanks again.

@BigPoppaP :welcome:

Seems like you are using the older build of Mb 3.x

I would recommend upgrading to the latest 3.1.2.1733 CU 1.0.141 build.

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

Hi Porthos. Many thanks for your prompt response. I completed actions 1-4 but was then advised the installation had failed. I have attached the mb-clean-results file as prompted.

I also have a box advising 'The item 'mbam.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or removed so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?

mb-clean-results.txt