CC Cleaner usage instructions

I was wondering if someone could give me some instructions on how to use CC cleaner and also where I should get it from.

I did print out some instructions a while back that someone gave me but unfortunately I lost them and I can't find the thread :)

Using CCleaner [Crap Cleaner] is actually that hard. In the options tab you can set CCleaner [Crap Cleaner] to auto-scan and clean on closing and opening of web-browsers. Registry wise, that's just manual.

@ Noah

Why do you call it crap cleaner? just curious. Edit: Nevermind, Exile just answered it for me. :)

also, while I am usually pretty good at figuring things out on some programs, I was asking for directions because I do not want to risk messing up anything, especially when I won't be around to fix it if a problem occurs. Also when its a tool that can do significant changes to a system, I would rather ask someone who knows vs. trying to figure it out for myself and mess up something.

Thank you though :)

Crap cleaner is the actual name of the program :) .

Here's my instructions that I post to users for using it:

Download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer.

• Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
  • Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
  • Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
  • Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
  • Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • On the "Windows" tab, under "Internet Explorer," uncheck "Cookies" if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit).
  • If you use either the Firefox or Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for "Cookies" is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."
    deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours."
  • Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Registry" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Oh. I thought he said that coz he didn't like it, oops. Silly me.

Thank you very much for the instructions Exile :)

One question:

"Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."

deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours."

why is that done?

Should this clean up everything I want it to clean up and make it unrecoverable? That's my main concern actually.

@ Exile

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification. Oh gee, just realized I thought that that meant only delete temp files 48 hours or newer and it was just the opposite. Gak. Definitely time for sleep, haha. Except I can't for another two hours at least :) lol

Thanks. So you think I don't really need to do the advanced option then? I'd actually like to do a more secure deletion, just to be on the safe side. Is it pretty easy to figure out how to do that or could you give me some directions if you don't think it is? About how long do you think it might take doing it in the advanced options?

@ Exile

Okay, thanks. :)

I just want to make sure that everythings not recoverable, especially if they decide to recycle the machine in the future or something.

Before I learned about ATF and CC cleaner, I thought that the only way to do this was to do a drive scrub of some sort, and I actually bought Drive Scrubber 3 from iolo technologies to use on an old laptop that I used when I lived there. (Bought it in Oct of last year, still haven't found the time to do it, I hope it doesn't expire after a year, heh, coz I paid like $40 for it) Maybe I can just put CC cleaner on a thumb and do it that way. I basically just wanted to wipe the whole drive on it though. I used it for a couple of years and just want it clean. I dunno if they even want it back though. It's an XP from like the first year or two of XP I think, and last few times it was used it was extremely slow. Plus, since its not been used in at least three years, it hasn't had ANY updates, so that would have to all be done as well if they wanted it back. Thankfully it came with a reinstallation CD :)

Sorry to get off track.

I'm impatient with some things, but if its something I want done and whatnot, I'll wait :) hehe.

Add additional programs to CCleaner

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1110 <== adds additional application detection to CCleaner

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. Use this small, fast software utility to delete unneeded temporary files and logs, clean out your Registry, and protect your browsing privacy
http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner

I don't use Wipe Free Space and if you use the Registry cleaner keep a backup of the registry entries it wants to remove so that you can restore them if needed.

CCleaner portable is available:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Thanks for posting up the additional info Kenny :) . edit: x2 jinx on you mountaintree :)

As for the other computer you're talking about, it sounds like you could do FDisk and clean it completely as long as you have all the discs and keys needed for reinstallation. That's only if you want the entire drive wiped though, and not just the temp files.

:)

Whats FD disk??

Keys for re installation? Like the key when you set up the computer when you first get it, you mean?

I do want the entire drive wiped. These companies make it sound like you have to buy something to completely wipe it. They claim that only by using a disk you have to buy, things will be irrecoverable.

:/

@ Exile

Is formatting the same thing is completely wiping (so the files that used to be on it and internet usage tracks are not recoverable) and reinstalling? :)

Essentially, yes, although some of the data can potentially be recovered (although pretty unlikely, especially after installing Windows again, as much of the disk will be overwritten). Just make sure you don't use the Quick format option when installing XP again. Other tools can be used to do what's called a "low level" format, but I don't generally recommend it, especially with an OEM PC that has a recovery partition as a mistake can wipe out the recovery partition as well.

Hmm okay. Thanks :) Drive Scrubber 3 claims to completely and irreversibly wipe the harddrive, which is why I bought it, heh. I don't think they want the computer back at this point - she mentioned it to me last in Dec. and I said oh yeah I took it to wipe it... just don't want the files ever to be recovered again, which is my concern with that desktop too.

If she does end up wanting it back I'll do all this, otherwise I'll deal with it when I have some more time. It's sitting in a plastic tub under our dresser right now, haha.